Is It Possible To Learn To Ride On A Trials Bike?

hi thought i had alredy posted this topic but cant seem to find it so here goes again.

I have said my situation previous but have been speaking to a friend over the last few days and just wondered what you guys thought .....

I have very little experience of riding a geared bike basically a complete beginner however i have a keen love of trials so the time has come on my life for me to learn finally my question is as a 26yr old with little experience of bikes would i be better learning to ride a geared bike such as a general field bike or could i learn on a trials bike and just practice and learn until im competant for a club trial could do with some help with this please as not sure wether i could do this or wether my mate who doesnt really like trials is just trying to get me more into just thrashing round a field which i have no interest in doing

thanks in advance and sorry to be a pain with all my questions just dont really have much access to info as just starting out.

hi thought i had alredy posted this topic but cant seem to find it so here goes again.

I have said my situation previous but have been speaking to a friend over the last few days and just wondered what you guys thought .....

I have very little experience of riding a geared bike basically a complete beginner however i have a keen love of trials so the time has come on my life for me to learn finally my question is as a 26yr old with little experience of bikes would i be better learning to ride a geared bike such as a general field bike or could i learn on a trials bike and just practice and learn until im competant for a club trial could do with some help with this please as not sure wether i could do this or wether my mate who doesnt really like trials is just trying to get me more into just thrashing round a field which i have no interest in doing

thanks in advance and sorry to be a pain with all my questions just dont really have much access to info as just starting out.

Theirs more to learn with trials but you'll be far more in control than just blasting up and down a field. My friend started last year on an old bike of mine and became competent pretty quickly. I'd imagine you'd get bored pretty quickly just riding a field bike especially if you have a love of trials.

You've got all the info you'll ever need here, and a lot you probably won't.....!

If the info isn't already on here, someone will post a link to somewhere that has it.....usually..... :thumbup:

Edited by houseape1000

IMHO ... There is no better way to learn how to ride than on a trials bike , The quirks and sensitivity of a trials motorcycle will give you a steep learning curve and make getting all the fundamentals of control and balance much easier in the long run . Once you can learn to be comfortable riding a trials bike , all other motorcycles become pretty easy ... With some common sense !

Glenn

I taught my 11 year old nephew how to ride a geared motorcycle on a Gas Gas 80 many years ago. Within a few hours he was good enough to have a go at an easy club trial on the C route. He lost a lot of marks and I had to pick his bike up quite a few times but he was hooked straight away.

There's nothing like having your peers riding around with you to spur you on!

The one thing I would suggest is that you choose your events very carefully. Some are a lot harder than others :thumbup:

thanks again guys for your advice much appreciated - another question for you all though would an older bike such as a montesa cota or an old fantic or even a yamaha ty be ok to learn on or am i better going for a newer bike such as late 90s gas gas etc. also max cc to go for too. again sorry for all the questions just wanna get as much info as i can before buying one.

cheers adam

The newer bike you can afford the more competitive it will be however, the most important thing is to buy by condition. A really well maintained Yamaha TY250, Montesa 311, Fantic etc will give you much more fun than a worn out bike that is much younger.

For basic learning it doesn't matter much but you'll soon start thinking the bike is hold you back (even though it may not be). I'd go for condition over age too but as new as you can afford. The bikes from the mid to late nineties on are all pretty good, but try if you can to get in to to this century.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm teaching my girlfriend to ride a trials bike. She has had very minimal to no time on a bike before this year. Only got her learners licence last year. Within about 8 hours of instruction and determination, she has gone from just sitting down in 1st gear to 3rd gear standing on the pegs and now is doing tight figure eights..! I have joked that she will be in the sections before long. Next obstacles for her will be a couple of wooden pallets...

oh and my bike...a '74 TY250a, so it's no light weight. But she is enjoying anytime on the bike.

Edited by wombat

ive ridden a ty250 but was many years ago well about 15 it was when i was about 11 my uncle was teaching me to ride only went on it once or twice i lived too far from him to carry on learning but i have now decided to take the plunge and get one myself and try teach myself still on the look out for a bike though at the mo

My girl friend is 44 and rides my DT175e as well. She was nervous as hell at damaging either bike, but I assured that she couldnt do any more than I had over the years. The trials experience is very good for anyone, going slow never did any harm. Practice the basics and you'll be fine, then build up as your confidence grows!

cheers for th advice guys now i just need to find a bike at th right price and condition i have said before dont have a very big budget at the mo but im sure i will find one eventually... cant wait to get one and get out there and start learning.