Montesa Cota 4rt

d. sileo

Its finally here in the states.................And in a word "AWESOME".....We took our first batch, set them up and rode the first trials sections in America on the new Montesa 4RT.........VIVA MONTESA .............

More to follow.......Must ride now...........

www.keystonecycle.com

Edited by D. Sileo

Update: We rode the New Cota 4rt for a few hours today and got a real good feel for it.. After a brillant debate at Sheffield during the recent World indoor event. I am sure it will see the top podium position before its all said and done. The traction is fantastic, The power delivery smooth in every gear, the feel is small and light. We figured out what the "RT" stands for " Ridiculous Torque" ......Great Bike.....D

www.keystonecycle.com

mvc-028f500w.jpg

Edited by D. Sileo

Hi Brian, How are you and yours ??? The bike, at idle is very quiet, in fact it was the quietest bike at the FIM sound test... The bike with all restrictors in place is much quieter than a fully de-restricted bike... I feel that the bike may seem louder to some people but the sound is a different sound than what we are used to hearing from a trials bike...If all factory restrictors are left in place the sound is a very nice performance 4 stroke sound.... You may have seen a fully de-restricted bike this past weekend. Now you need to hear a fully restricted one. The power on a fully restrcited bike is super smooth with unbeleiveable traction and a very pleasent exhaust note. The power on a fully de-restricted bike is an massive amount of torque and the subsequesnt noise that follows which I feel 95% of the riders do not need....Fully restricted will be the way I compete on this machine and the way all my bikes will be set-up for customer delivery........This is a new bike that just arrived and I am sure as time passes will need to understand these types of things and address them. Hope I answered your question and see you at the first national..........Dom :)

Edited by D. Sileo

Yep, the one I heard had some restrictors removed. I hear lots of positive comments including one about what used to be a third gear splatter was done in first. Just wind it up. I am concerned about the noise, I hope it doesn't become a problem with the neighbors of the land owners that let us ride.

Sounds like a TL at idle. Rev it up and suddenly you hear a big BRAAATTTT.

See you in Sequatchie!

• 2 weeks later...

Rode round the local trial along side one today, very very muddy conditions (which i hate!) I must say the fourstroke didn't impress me that much, It certainly wasn't gripping any better than the twostroke's.

Very nice machine, top notch quality etc, but I don't think it's worth the extra

Well...untill reading your post marky G I was to scared to say it...(OK I'm ready for the backlash now)...I tried one the other week..OK not for long, but I too wasnt THAT impressed. TO me, it did seem better than the 04 2 stroke Montesa 315.....BUT, it didnt feel ANY better than a 05 Beta or 05 Sherco that I recently tried. I guess it all comes down to what your used to?? :wall:

Hi Stu,

I think the Mont needs to gain 100cc and give it 18 months to get anywhere near the current two strokes....I cant say the noise thing was really an issue with the one I saw.

Stu, when you get back into uk you'll have to give me a bell and do some of the local trials mate :wall:

thats a definate marky g!!!

will be spending some time in Herefordshire and some in Northamptonshire to begin with..but will DEFINATELY be wanting to get started as soon as possible. Buying a bike the day I get back hopefully!!!

SHould be back about October time..so I'll be in touch then! :wall::P

Marky,

If the boys you witnessed riding the 4rt in the muddy conditions were trying to ride it like a 2 stroke, e.g. - using clutch for throttle control, I wouldn't be surprised that you were not impressed.

If they rode with their finger off of the clutch and used throttle for control, I guess I would be surprised that it did not work better than a 2 stroke.

We had a local trials this weekend. Our former national champ rider was going up vertical rock walls, with power to spare on his 4rt. I just can't imagine it needing anymore CC's.

Sideup, got me thinking who you are now?????? I put some vertical walls in the sections this weekend give the old 4rt something to go at, and I must admit she had no problem with them.

Am I correct in thinking they were the same walls :wall: and are you the chap who was wrong sideup on them :P I'll try and post a pic of them.

Ishy- Remember my helmet graphic? Thought that is a good handle.

No I never was on the wrong side..up on that section. That was our other buddy. I gave it a go the 1st loop made it ok, then proceed to ride over the ribbon on a turn. 2nd loop as I was approching I started to plan my bail out and decided to do a last minute chicken out. :wall: 3rd and 4th also.

If you did not see our bud crash, picture the World Round Dougie Crash minus the ten foot fall back to the ground. :P Maybe a three foot fall. I think he hit a little out cropping with his front wheel (too low) and stuck it. Scared me out of riding it.

Jack B.

Good Pictures - got any of this section

Edited by sideup