The Pacific

Andy

Am I alone in being disappointed in the "premier" of this? Was out Monday night so only got round to watching it last night. Was really looking forward to it, but in my opinion they've tried to emulate Band of Brothers too much. BOB was groundbreaking television, despite its historical inaccuracies. Watched my BOB DVDs till I virtually wore them out then gave them to a mate when I got BluRay. The Pacific just looked to me like a poor clone with a similar, but weaker story:(

I felt the same but have seen the 2nd episode and it gets better! Stick with it!

Bloody hell Jen. I remember you being in a pram. Of all the people I expected to respond you were not amongst them and make me feel incredibly old! :thumbup:

Bloody hell Jen. I remember you being in a pram. Of all the people I expected to respond you were not amongst them and make me feel incredibly old! :thumbup:

Well you are you silly old bugger

Well you are you silly old bugger

Makes note to take most embarrassing photos of Ishy possible first week in May and to pay somebody to photoshop some if there aren't any.

I thought parts one & two were moderate but my 10 year old watching companion thought they were awesome. We've just sat & watched parts one & two of BoB, far better in my opinion.

Edited by AmigoLoco

historical inaccuracies aside, Band Of Brothers is a million times better than anything else I've seen portraying WW2. I haven't seen any of Pacific yet but it'll be like every other major WW2 based production i've seen, working hard to reach the standards of Band of Brothers and failing miserably.

Am I alone in being disappointed in the "premier" of this? Was out Monday night so only got round to watching it last night. Was really looking forward to it, but in my opinion they've tried to emulate Band of Brothers too much. BOB was groundbreaking television, despite its historical inaccuracies. Watched my BOB DVDs till I virtually wore them out then gave them to a mate when I got BluRay. The Pacific just looked to me like a poor clone with a similar, but weaker story:(

A friend just sent me this link: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/...ters/#more-1547 with some unusual photos from the real Pacific. Most of these I've never seen.

Jon

He, he! Makes me wondre just how long it has really been since BOB came out? As with Slap, I have not seen it yet, since I do not OWN that channel, but yet, from the previews and such, I do not set my expectations too high. I think if it even comes near the other it has served its purpose in a sense of history that can be represented in this media. Like the song goes, "You should have seen it in COLOR" ,not a good thing for most involved.

I cannot even fathom producing such, I feel humbled by those that would even attempt it! And although I have seen nothing, I hear this is Tom Hanks driven force once again behind this. The fact that he would even attempt it is a statement upon his driven self to give some clue to future generations. The costs, incredible! The risk, substantial! The reward, seems very personal.

A friend just sent me this link: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/...ters/#more-1547 with some unusual photos from the real Pacific. Most of these I've never seen.

Jon

Some fantastic images there Jon,thanks for sharing that link.

A real mix of emotions when you compare that B25 skimming across the harbour then contrast that with the toiling soldiers, the 1/2 buried Jap or the shot up civilian car...to think that me and my generation feel aggrieved when we have a **** day at work?!

Jon

Hey Jon,

Here's a coincidence:-

This programme aired last Saturday..and the evidence for the presence of the midget-sub attack all hinged on the detail in the 2nd Denver Post (Japanese reconnaisance) photo that you posted a link to!!!

The photo shows the sub briefly surfacing when it got caught up in the blast from it's own torpedo detonating on the side of an American warship.

Cheers,

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...