My 4rt Test Ride

Well I got to try the new Montesa today, seen all sorts of posts about the bike on here from people who had seen it, or so and so had told them about it, not very many from people who own one and there must be a few about now, in fact I wondered why more new owners hadn't posted about the bike, could there be something wrong ??

Firstly I am a Sherco dealer and have a new sherco 4rt on order when they become available, so my test ride was for nothing more than to see what the new generation of fourstroke trials bikes are going to be like, it would be easy to try and pick faults and say well it's ok but I think I'll wait for the Sherco's to come out, truth is I couldn't pick faults I really felt comfortable on the bike and it did everything I asked of it without fuss or struggle.

11am this morning Dennis Sweeten of Apex sports in Oregon called me and said the bikes where ready to go we are riding at my house come down and give it a test, no need to ask me twice I was there in no time at all.

When I got there they were already dirty so I had no need to be careful I just got on one and rode the first section without walking it, drop down into a rooted hole with a tight right and up a loose rocky stream, on turning the corner I thought I was going to stall so slipped the clutch and dabbed, then climbing up the rest of the section clutching and getting myself off line, got to the top and thought you made a real pigs ear of that ish, now try it without messing about with the clutch and ride the bloody thing.

So I did and it was easy!! so I tried it again and again it was easy, moved on to another section and same again if you leave the clutch alone and ride the section using smooth throttle control to replace clutch control it rides like a dream.

Five of us were on four bikes, and I noticed the same for all the riders, stand on it and just trust the bike and they made the sections look easy.

All four bikes ran spot on and felt light small and comfortable from first getting on them, we did think the noise was a bit loud so put the tailpipe restrictor on, couldn't tell any change in performance but it did make the bikes quieter, I think it will be a small problem that will be solved with a factory mod very easily.

I don't know how the perform up 10 foot steps or silly bloody leaps the world champs do, but I only watch that stuff, the type of riding I do the bike has more than I would ever need.

I have waited a long time to ride one and don't take what I say as fact, the only way is ride the bike and let it speak for itself. only tip is once you can leave the clutch alone and just stand on it and ride, it keeps impressing you more and more.

The bike was spot on, shame I couldn't say the same for the bugger taking the photo's, out of 13 pictures these where the best two.

post-2-1105405233.jpg

Edited by ishy

We where riding slippery streams, banks, and rock sections all about the level I would ride in club competition, I did ride the bike like it was my own and wasn't nervous about scratching it or falling over.

Thanks to Dennis Sweeten, pictured below, owner of Apex sports, for letting me come along and give the bike more than a parking lot test ride, I didn't even have a bike to wash when I got home :)

post-2-1105405758.jpg

Edited by ishy

Two of our local club member turned up with the 4T at our new year trial and I rode both. The first was running with an old 315 rear wheel as the rider thought the gear was a little high as standard and didn;t have time to get a bigger back sprocket. I rode this bike more than the other and have to say the thing was sooooo smooth. The other bike was a little high geared for my liking but other than that was also very smooth.

I didn't get a go at the real sections as time was tight but I rode around a bit and did a couple of climbs on it and found it gripped well but not really any better than my Gasser which I think grips better than anything else I've ever ridden. I was working the clutch and found it a bit jerky and grabby in tight turns but never really tried without the clutch as it felt like it would stall.

Now that Ishy has confirmed that it won't I'll try again at our next trial. First impression though are that its better than I expected. My mate dropped his one quite a bit and never had any problems restarting it so that looks ok. I would add though that starting from cold is a b1tch and the bike must be left to warm up on tick over before being ridden or it will stall and not restart without taking the plug out and drying it. Both owner found this to be the case.

Well I got to try the new Montesa today, seen all sorts of posts about the bike on here from people who had seen it, or so and so had told them about it, not very many from people who own one and there must be a few about now, in fact I wondered why more new owners hadn't posted about the bike, could there be something wrong ??

I've ridden my 4rt twice and although this is not a great deal I have made some the modifications to the bike:

1) removed the restictors

2) two teeth extra on the rear sprocket adding 1.5 links to the chain

3) fast action throttle

4) 6inch bars

The bikes power seems better on the second ride, the front end I find instills me with confidence, power is on par with my old 2004 2.9 Sherco. The clutch is know different from my Sherco or come to think of it my formers 2003 Scorpa SY 250, 2002 Gas Gas 280pro, 1999 Montesa 315. The reason i say this is because I have had riders coming up to me and say "the clutch is snatchy on those bikes". Well it ain't, or i've got a unique 4rt.

The bikes only been ridden in very muddy conditions, it looses traction like a 2-stroke (perhaps a little sooner) but....... when its grips "o my god" its launch time and this is whilst its lost the grip, spinning, and then bites. I've never ridden or owned a 4-stroke, but once i've mastered this sudden 'grip' i will be better in the mud than a 2-stroke. I fitted the fast action throttle because the power comes in a little later a 2-stroke, and i'm never one to turn the twist grip to max. Fitting the larger rear sprocket allows 4th gear to be used in the mud. I've found that by removing the restrictors the bike is less fluffy (crisp). The noise is a little loud for my liking and i'm looking to reduce the hole of the end cap to 14mm with a sleeve insert (next job). The big handlebars are because i'm over 6 feet - i weigh 12.5 stone.

The weirdest thing is having to keep the power on going down hill, and in ice conditions the bike would go over logs at angles something my sherco would never have done well. I've been riding 3 years and have won my area's b class route for 2004.

My tranistion from 2 to 4-stroke has been easier than i had hoped, i like the bike (alot) and my riding abilities will improve with this machine - confidence from day 1 is what made me sell my Sherco for the Mont and thanks goes to my local dealer for this.

The rumours of costs of repairing this bike are not something that are of a major concern to me because the engine is Honda crf250 derived and those MX/enduro bikes get hammered and still go well and sound good after a hard season. one seasons MX would be 5+ seasons trials and this is why the costs are of know concern. The amount of times you would rebuild a Gas Gas pro in five years full season's riding would most probable cost the same or more than one rebuild for the 4rt. Change the oil and filter, clean the air filter ever time you ride, i'm confident the bike will last its a Honda - that's my theory

One lad did make us wince a bit when he dropped his bike, picked it up, gave it a kick and she fired up.

After riding a bit Dennis, wound the clutch engagement on the lever in a couple of turns and it did improve it a bit.

I picked up on it quick because the Scorpa 125 was just the same for engageing quick or grabbing, and until I bought the BJ Racing clutch mod I found it better to not use it much, the kit consisted of new lever and perch assembly better quality cable and knurled steel plates, the hydraulic mont clutch takes care of the first two, mebe if someone has the time to knurl some steel plates, allowing the clutch to drag more oil up for a smoother engagement, might be worth testing.

Spud, I prefer a softer engagement to my clutch.

It's so great to see all you guys riding trials on a winter monday. Must be wonderful to not be chained to your workspace like most of us slaves who haven't got the right to even go outside 'til the weekend when were too tired to do anything but sleep because of the brutal flogging we took on the job. :)

The rumours of costs of repairing this bike are not something that are of a major concern to me because the engine is Honda crf250 derived and those MX/enduro bikes get hammered and still go well and sound good after a hard season. one seasons MX would be 5+ seasons trials and this is why the costs are of know concern. The amount of times you would rebuild a Gas Gas pro in five years full season's riding would most probable cost the same or more than one rebuild for the 4rt. Change the oil and filter, clean the air filter ever time you ride, i'm confident the bike will last its a Honda - that's my theory

Read ThumperTalk.com Some owners of CRF's are experiencing on-going valve problems. Theories are all over the place as to why the valves are not lasting. Everything from the titanium valve coatings to less than adequate valve springs and poor maintenance has been brought up. Modern 4 strokes utilize the very latest/lightest technology to get high revving race bikes and the price you pay is expensive maintenance. These new engines are not your father's bulletproof XRs

That said, I had heard from one dealer that the Montesa is not based on the CRF. Never the less, check valve clearances often, keep fresh oil in it and mind the air cleaner religously.

My play bike is a KLX300, even though it is designed for trail riding, it still has lots of moving parts wearing down. Been anticipating a new top end and it's not going to be cheap.

We couldn't afford to pay t'mill owner to flog us to death, so we had to take out a loan from a shark who would extract our teeth with a brick before going to work for 50 hours straight before walking the 25 miles home to sleep in a dip in the road filled with oily water.