When Not To Do The Easy Course?

hoggyf

Hope this doesn't upset anybody and being new to trialing I don't want to upset the apple cart but at the last trial i did (only my second) I finished and didn't come last, got a couple of cleans but my points total was 93 on the easy course, well chuffed with that.

However, in joint first place on the easy course were 2 guys who only dropped 1 mark, my thoughts are that should they not be doing the harder course, shurely there not exactly taxing themselves if after 40 sections they've only "dabbed" once?

The mate I go with who's infinately better than i am does the hard course and came 3rd from last (had a bad day) but say's he won't do the easy as it is just that - easy.

What does anyone else think? Should they be put into the hard course automatically? If i ever get ot the stage of dropping less than say 20 marks I think i'd be looking to step up.

Was the trial part of a championship or were there trophies to be won? If so there should be some kind of grading involved.

If not then (it's my personal view) that good riders choosing to ride the easy route is no problem.

The vast majority of us only ride trials for fun, it doesn't matter if you ride the hard route and loose 120 marks or ride the easy route and stay clean 'IF' you are only riding for fun.

We've got one rider in his 70's who always rides our C route, he always wins on one or two marks as he was a good expert in his time, but since he had both hip joints replaced he doesn't want to risk riding the harder stuff.

Another (over40) Expert who rides with us clubmen on the B route (as over 40's can) is self employed and suffers with a bad back, any sudden jolt can put him off work for days, again he doesn't want to ride the hard route but makes the clubman route look easy.

If a championship is at stake that is a different matter and the 'honourable' thing to do would be to enter on a no award basis, no one likes a 'pot hunter.' But I feel strongly that riders should never be forced to ride a hard section or a hard route.

Pete

in joint first place on the easy course were 2 guys who only dropped 1 mark, my thoughts are that should they not be doing the harder course

My thought is, who are you to tell 2 people who are demonstrably much better riders than you that they should ride a harder course?

Infact, why should you be able to tell anyone what they should do at all?

It's an attitude that angers and sickens me at the same time.

Trials is a dangerous sport, the danger is countered by the ability of the rider, only the rider knows his own ability and no-one has the right to make anyone ride on a course that may be beyond their ability.

The rule book uses the word competance rather than ability. Bear that in mind whilst you learn it.

If your aim is to finish an easy course on less than 20 then move up - that's great, do it, I waited 'till I finished first on the easy course (which in your trial would have needed less than 1), it doesn't matter, you meet your goal and progress. If you move up, you'll have your eyes opened and you'll either manage or you won't, but don't impose your ideals on others.

Don't even mention them, they're yours, personally implemented, that's all.

I could give you many dozens of examples of people who ride the easy course every week on a very low score. They all have reasons for doing so, and none of those reasons have anything to do with you.

What does matter is that they enjoy their sport at their level and compete regularly in a sport that is as old as Motorcycling itself

My thought is, who are you to tell 2 people who are demonstrably much better riders than you that they should ride a harder course?

Trials is a dangerous sport, the danger is countered by the ability of the rider, only the rider knows his own ability and no-one has the right to make anyone ride on a course that may be beyond their ability.

The rule book uses the word competance rather than ability. Bear that in mind whilst you learn it.

If your aim is to finish an easy course on less than 20 then move up - that's great, do it, I waited 'till I finished first on the easy course (which in your trial would have needed less than 1), it doesn't matter, you meet your goal and progress. If you move up, you'll have your eyes opened and you'll either manage or you won't, but don't impose your ideals on others.

I could give you many dozens of examples of people who ride the easy course every week on a very low score. They all have reasons for doing so, and none of those reasons have anything to do with you.

What does matter is that they enjoy their sport at their level and compete regularly in a sport that is as old as Motorcycling itself

A passionate response there GII. I agree with you but I think the original point is a good one and a legitimate question.

As I said, "If a championship is at stake that is a different matter and the 'honourable' thing to do would be to enter on a no award basis, no one likes a 'pot hunter.' But I feel strongly that riders should never be forced to ride a hard section or a hard route."

Pete

So a bit like golf then, compete against the course.

Perhaps they should bring in a handicap system, so upon reading results you can see how good a rider has done, and it actually has some meaning. ???

I know this will never happen, and don't want it to.

However, if entering a competition, maybe the results should show the levels at which the various rider ride.

For instance.

Bob - 1st (6) - hcap 0

Johnny - 2nd (12) - hcap 44

Brad - 3rd (17) - hcap 2

I understand this would be almost impossible to administer, but just a thought.

What the results don't show at the moment is that the guy that has come first does so every week, and rides this particular class every week, however, the guy that has come second, has only rode this class three times, and has done really well this week.

No credit has been taken away from any rider, everyone's a winner - apart from the person doing the results. :rotfl:

I think youre thinking to much about a bunch of folk riding around in a muddy field come quarry or woods that no one will ever know about in two years.

Who cares i never get hung up about any results as a constant rider with a name behind him will 5 and get a 1, whilst you get the 5. So just enjoy and chill out its not life or death plus no money to win.

Just ENJOY YOUR SELF.

come on fellas don't dive down his throat too much, you cant tell me you have never heard this said in the past. like said earlier hoggy there are many reasons why people ride in a class that seems bellow them, make these people your target, watch them through sections and you will learn a lot by them. personally I'm not bothered what class people ride as long as they enjoy it, as a CoC i would rather people rode a class bellow them than have to call a ambulance.

last thing almost ANY trial can be rode on a no award basis or just ride the wrong side of the end cards.

I think, GII, your response was a bit unfair. HoggyF has admitted to being new to the scene and was merely asking for opinions, and was not trying to tell people what they should be doing.

As has already been said, for some people it's a bit of fun, an excuse to get out of the house and meet up with the guys. Others take it more seriously. Neither is right or wrong. People ride trials for their own reasons and we shouldn't second guess their motivations. As long as you are enjoying yourself, why worry about it?

Edited by CaptainSlackdabber

Valid points by all guys and as I said originally, i was not trying to upset anyone, perhaps I also should have said I wasn't criticising anyone either, I was just curious as to why they weren't trying the harder course, I hadn't thought about the various and very valid reasons given.

To be honest I'm not bothered about the marks as I'm enjoying challenging myself and the terrain and can honestly say that so far, I couldn't hope to meet a nicer bunch of guys.

Hope to see you all out there some time.

i get where your coming from about making people move up no one should be made to move up but its not fair on the not so good guys that would be able to win if there was not a really good guy riding a to easy route !

Its a little like lampkin coming to a trial and entering in easy because he might hurt himself off season !

Our local clubs has about 5 classes and its not a problem in our clubs not sure why ?

Interesting topic. I had a very similar experence at the weekend, it was my first ever trial, didn't do as well as I hoped, didn't finish last, had the time of my life, then seen the scores on the club website and thought WTF....

I also then thought, why are certain people doing the easier route when they are scoring in single figures ??? There may well be perfectly valid reasons for it, but just looks not quite right when you see the scores on line :rotfl:

the easy route is the easy route.. it asks nothing of the rider just that its easy . the beginners route is for beginners and those who dont want to ride the novice etc routes. personally i've been riding for 15 years i rride the easy / beginners route i drop less than 10. if i had to ride a harder route i wouldnt ride at all.

if you dont finish last on only your second trial your doing okay you'll get better and if youth and skill are on your side in a year you couldnt care less what happens on the easy route