The Dark Side Of Beta I.e. Four Stroke

billyt

Hey guys.

I did it, I went over to the Four Stroke dark side.

I played around with the carb and re-jetted, re-sprung the CV carb slide.

The four stroke is messing with my timing & mind for sure.

I am now back at square one learning all over again. :thumbup:

I posted some You Tube (3) videos of me playing around on this BEAST :thumbup: .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2FHl-KJwp8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gJXGjB6eC4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpPFM5qYvw

Not good riding skills but fun non the less.

Cheers

BillyT :thumbup:

Edited by BillyT

Sorry.

I just copied one of the links i.e.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2FHl-KJwp8

and then pasted it in on the front page of You Tube and it opened just fine?

Copy a link and then paste in You Tube.

Maybe there is a better way of posting it?

BillyT

Edited by BillyT

Yes , Billy, there is a better way, as to click on the "insert link" button up top(right the smileys) after copying it, post it, then title it. Play with it, it works well.

Looks like fun there, you can still ride better then me! And those seem a good bike for sure! Now go get used to it, as your timing is off a bit, yet you could become dangerous on that thing! :rolleyes:

Hey Mark, yes my timing is all messed up now on this beast. It seems like your brain is thinking ahead and the bike takes time to re-act.

I am learning to ride all over again. Maybe that is a good thing as I will drop all of my old bad habits LOL :rolleyes:

I tried what you told me on the You Tube posts. It would only allow me to post one at a time.

So Mark, when are you going over to the dark side? LOL

Cheers BillyT

Well Billy, all I have seen has been really good on these bikes, yet they are different. Seems to me there are two modes of operation on the 4T's, chug about, or rev, slip and pop if you need it, but you gotta think ahead to get the revs in first.

Which is another reason the clutch needs to be right, I would do the Dan Williams polish on them just to smooth things, as there is virtue in it!

RL seemed to like the light spring in the carb to quicken things up a bit. Seems his older bike perked up with the different muff on it, yet do not know if the trade is neccessary. :rolleyes:

Hey guys.

I did it, I went over to the Four Stroke dark side.

I am now back at square one learning all over again.

Why so much trouble? Not your first 4-stroke, and infinitely better than your Scorpa SY250F, for sure!

Darrel

This feels nothing like the Scorpa.

The Scorpa felt lighter, quicker responding, built confidence.

The key word is felt lighter when trying to hop, float.

The Beta 300cc 4T runs great, and well put together I think it is more of a weight/balance/distribution thing.

The other is that a 300cc four stroke actually gets too much traction on BIG Sticky rocks as opposed to a two stroke.

Since it gets more traction on the sticky rocks it fools you into thinking it can go up anything and that makes one try bigger things than

one normally would.

That is when it bites you in the ass. It needs more run on or RPM's to shoot up bigger rocks. It simply does not rev out that quickly compared to a two stroke.

This gets me in trouble. It is not a matter of simply pulling the clutch and rev the crap out of it and then dumping the clutch, that will get one tired real quickly.

There is one more thing I found out DO NOT BACK OFF THE THROTTLE going up big rocks, a little thing called engine braking will bring you to a quick slow down

and then fall down LOL :rolleyes: On a two stroke one can back of the throttle on a big up and then coast over the object, kind of like point and shoot.

On this bike, point, twist throttle, let clutch out and hold on (and hold throttle ON) until the object is in your rear view mirror so to speak.

I have the jetting @ # 20 Pilot, 112.5 main, CV carb spring changed from a stock .027 spring wire diameter to .025.

I am riding at two elevations 800 ft & 6000 ft and this jetting works great for both altitudes.

I have changed the plug out to an iridium plug and that has made quite a difference in how it starts and runs.

It is all maybe perception, but time on the pegs will tell.

How are you liking yours compared to the Montesa & Scorpa?

Cheers

BillyT

Edited by BillyT