Tyres

grib

All new trials bikes seem to come with Michelin tyres fitted, are they better than other makes or just cheaper?

Do different makes of tyre work better in different conditions?

What tyre pressures are best for different conditions?

If you buy Michelins...just make sure you get a TUBE TYPE front..not a TUBELESS one...even if you have a tubeless rim,...it is VERY hard to get a TUBELESS FRONT to bead properly. Better use the TUBE TYPE with a tube.

On the rear...the tubeless one is fine...but some people still stick a tube in that too. :)

I might actually be swayed by the IRC. I was minding for a 125 rider on Sunday, and "had to" :) ride the bike out of the odd section. I was surprised how much grip the IRC had compared to my own X11.

I was jumping straight off the 125 and riding my 290 up the same route.

I was trying to work out whether the grunt in the engine was losing me grip, but trying everything including tickover to make sure it wasn't.

Something in the future may prove it wrong, but I'm going to have a go with an IRC next, just out of interest.

There are two types of Mitas the older one is rock hard rubber with super soft sidewalls the outer edge blocks are not square.

The later ones have sqare outer blocks, they are much much better but still wiggle due to soft sidewalls. The grip is reasonable.

They are however dirt cheap so are good for practice or if you are lucky on the second bike..... in my case twinshocks.

Just changed from michelin to IRC on my aprilia climber and the difference is unbelievable, gone from a totally crap rider to just crap now.

Its all in the right direction. Tyre pressures are the hardest thing i'm struggling with, but practise makes perfect.

Whilst out practising last year on a cold day I got to talking to Mick Andrews who still is involved heavily with developing and testing trials bikes and bits. We got ontot he subject of tyres and he asked how the grip was that day, (could have only been 1 or 2 degrees C). What he was getting at is that the IRC is very good at low temp as it seems to be a softer compound rubber than the Michelin which gets hard when cold. But on the other side he side whilst testing in spain he needed to run 6 to 7 psi in the IRC to stop it skwirming about.

Locally it seems that people use an IRC if it's mud event but stick a Michelin on for a more rocky event although I only ever use Michelin and don't seem to suffer grip issues compared to others.