Tlr200 Decompressor - Manual Conversion

jmo

I've just bought a TLR200 (1986), which has had the original decompressor cable assembly removed - I'm presuming people do this as they consider it not really necessary?

Looking at the workshop manual/parts fiche, it seems the decompressor is originally attuated automatically by a short cable from an arm behind the kick-start lever? Although I have seen examples who have [presumably replaced] this system with a manual lever on the handlebars...

I would like to install a manual decompressor on my bike - I intend to use a CRF450 clutch perch which has a second small lever [for the hot start on that bike] to attuate the decompressor cable, and which is the same set-up I have on my XR400 and works well...

Before I dive in, I was wondering what people recommend regarding the cable [length] for a similar conversion - my initial thoughts are to just buy the TLR cable bracket/plate that screws to the head, and an XR400 cable, together with the new clutch perch - what do you think?

Jenny xx

Edited by JMo

I would say it's not needed on the 200, but if you do need it then I would try to get the 200 set up, if you set up a manual one you may use it at the wrong point and damage something, where as the 200 one will activate in the right place every time ?? :rotfl:

You should fit the de-compressor if only to look after your kick start and starter gears.

The auto system is easiest to use as it takes care of itself, but I do prefer the additional manual lever and you soon get used to using it.

You will not damage anything by using it at the wrong time as it only lifts the exhaust valve slightly.

I've just bought a TLR200 (1986), which has had the original decompressor cable assembly removed - I'm presuming people do this as they consider it not really necessary?

Looking at the workshop manual/parts fiche, it seems the decompressor is originally attuated automatically by a short cable from an arm behind the kick-start lever? Although I have seen examples who have [presumably replaced] this system with a manual lever on the handlebars...

I would like to install a manual decompressor on my bike - I intend to use a CRF450 clutch perch which has a second small lever [for the hot start on that bike] to attuate the decompressor cable, and which is the same set-up I have on my XR400 and works well...

Before I dive in, I was wondering what people recommend regarding the cable [length] for a similar conversion - my initial thoughts are to just buy the TLR cable bracket/plate that screws to the head, and an XR400 cable, together with the new clutch perch - what do you think?

Jenny xx

my dad has 8 tlr 200 and a 250 i have also had 1 i the the decompressor works fine as long as the vavle timing is up to scratch

Jenny xx

my dad has 8 tlr 200 and a 250 i have also had 1 i the the decompressor works fine as long as the vavle timing is up to scratch

OK - thanks for the opinions everyone...

It's interesting as my XR400 has an auto decompressor (that engages via a camshaft lobe), but it's certainly useful to have the manual override if kicking through to clear the carb (when you've dropped it!) for example...

I hadn't realized there was no decompressor at the moment on my TLR, but of course - it all makes sense now... that said, it is easy enough to kick - but I'm conscious of the increased strain on the gears, as suggested...

I'm presuming there is no reason not to have the auto system fitted (rather than the manual)? - I presume it can't get stuck open (thus no compression)? - so I might look at sourcing those OE parts after all...

Thanks for the advice!

Jenny xx

So does anyone have a decompressor cable and the brackets for each end (ie. the whole set-up) spare that they would like to sell - or even just donate to a paranoid android?

Otherwise I guess I'll have to see if I can order the parts through my Honda dealer?

J x

Classic Offroad sell the Domino levers on ebay. They may have a suitable cable as well.(Kit)

You may have to make a small bracket for the lower end and bolt it onto the rocker box side.

You can also use the de-compressor as a kill switch.

Thanks 4stroke - it's not a problem putting together an manual conversion, but what I'm thinking is to replace the original automatic decompressor set up - I have the parts fiche but there are loads of bits I'll need and even if they are all available to order still, they'll all add up... I was hoping to find a complete set-up that someone had removed.

I'd just kinda like it to have an auto-decompressor (like my 400 has) to protect the kick-start gears etc in any moments of frustration! I know the cable set-up on the TLR is a bit Heath Robinson compared to cam driven decompressors, but I imagine it works well?

J x

the decomp is the same as the xr200 and the xl 185 parts, i would certainly recomend fitting it as on a trials bike where you stop and start a lot you will eventualy ruin the kickstart gears and this can damage the engine casings, mine went and it would have cost over