Rev3 Stator Testing

betarick

typical today i jinxed myself! before trial talking to fellow rider i said i have never had any bother with my stator! and with one section to go bike just died and now i have no spark! bike is a 06 250 rev3 witch i have owned from new. tryed all the usuall stuff like new plug + borrowed coil from my brothers bike + removed kill switch and checked all wiring connections. can i test stator as i have decent multimetre what readings should i get on each wire? last section was a easy one that i had cleaned twice allready typical! i had to take a 5 to finish trial!

that sounds like my day only a rev4, took the flywheel cover off which is cast and on with a gasket so i have never had it off

what a mess inside every thing rusty, only good thing is that it looks like my stator isnt behind the fly wheel going to ring

lampkins this morning. i would order a new stator to try cos if it isnt that lampkins will take it back

jsp

right just removed flywheel & stator. was shocked with how much mud & crud was in there! i woundnt mind but i have allways removed cover after washing bike & left it to dry out! i have tested stator at wires and im seeing about 32m ohms between red & black wires ignition wires! brown wire goes straight to earth 0.01 ohms not tested yellow wire as this is for fan lights horn etc. fan was working before bike died with no spark! what do you think to my readings?

Gday, 32 meg is way too high - basically open circuit. The source coil should be somewhere around 100 ohms. The wiring diagram I have here doesnt clearly show what the brown is supposed to do, but I have to assume you are OK with it grounded. Anyway - looks like a rewind or replacement for you.

Cheers,

Stork

thats what i was thinking a coil of wiring between red & black wires thats all it is for ignition. looked at stator and brown wire is soldered to body of stator so is earth! and yellow wire goes through over 3 coils to earth. tryed red & black wires on continutiy bleeper on multimetre & and got nothing! so new stator it is.

just fit new stator and bike fired up 1st kick so sorted just 136 quid lighter! Tested new stator with metre and got 320 ohms across red and black wires and o.1 ohms on yellow and brown to earth on stator body.

Just had one rewound at Westcountry Windings. Much cheaper than a complete new stator and guaranteed for 6 months. They said the original ones fail due to the low quality of wire used in the ignition winding. It is too thin and fails after going through numerous heat cycles. The wiring on the three other coils is ok but not very neatly wound.

The dirt getting in behind the flywheel probably gets forced in via the oblong shaped rubber grommet on the engine casing nearest to the radiator when the bike is washed, especially if using a power washer. That oblong grommet is not a particularly tight fit on the casing.

I'm thinking it's time to come up with a stator with replaceable coils. This replacing of a large assembly makes no sense at this point. Anybody got a dead stator they want to send me for post mortem?

I do not disagree! Who are building these on the later models, Dan? Are they Leonelli or Ducati or what?

Betarick 136 quid you got off lightley, I got the 4 stroke stator and a gasket and it was 235 quid

looks like i will have to keep it another year. i wonder is it worth getting the old stator repaired

just in case or to even sell on. whats the cost to refurb one ?

jsp