Sherpa Electronic Ignition

hightown

I have fitted Electronic ignition to my bultaco sherpa from Bultaco[uk], when you line up the red mark on the back plate with the top fixing screw what would the ignition timing be.

Thanking you in advance Hightown

Were there no instructions with the ignition?

Were there no instructions with the ignition?

Hello Swoosdave The instruction only told you to line up the Red or Yellow mark on back plate with top fixing screw,it did not tell you the exact timing, Bultaco UK did not know the timing themselves. I am just curious to find out what the timing is?

Hightown

Hello Swoosdave The instruction only told you to line up the Red or Yellow mark on back plate with top fixing screw,it did not tell you the exact timing, Bultaco UK did not know the timing themselves. I am just curious to find out what the timing is?

Hightown

I've just fitted the Electrex unit to my 340 plus a mikuni carb from Bultaco UK. Brilliant, starts first or second kick every time.

To find out the timing why not slip the plug turn the flywheel and note when it sparks, then compare with TDC position. I used a free internet calculator to convert 'BTDC to a circumfrential distance on the flywheel which I then marked with an indelible pen. Start it up with a strobe and bobs the danglies.

Paul Cundy

Perfect timing (no pun intended) I had just sat down to type a similar question. I have fitted electronic ignition to my 159 but although it starts and runs I assume that you should do some fine tuning of timing? Is this generally an experimentation or should I take it from standard timing against TDC?

Why are you worrying so much about what the timing is when fitted per the instructions. Just fit it and ride it and see how it performs. If it's too docile advance it, if it's too sharp retard it - just experiment until you get a setting that suits what you want.

The original manufacturer recommendation is just that, the timing can be set anywhere between 1.5 to 4mm BTDC, just depends on the bike and how you want it to perform. That recommendation is also for the original points ignition with no built in advance. The modern electronic has a built in advance which means static timing can be more retarded for a soft delivery off tickover if desired with no loss of mid/top end power as the timing will advance as the revs build. I have electronic on my 340 Sherpa and have no idea what it is timed at, I just set it where I'm happy with it.

You're worrying about nothing really, the only time to get the strobe out is if it won't run properly at all, regardless of how you position the stator.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you worrying so much about what the timing is when fitted per the instructions. Just fit it and ride it and see how it performs. If it's too docile advance it, if it's too sharp retard it - just experiment until you get a setting that suits what you want.

The original manufacturer recommendation is just that, the timing can be set anywhere between 1.5 to 4mm BTDC, just depends on the bike and how you want it to perform. That recommendation is also for the original points ignition with no built in advance. The modern electronic has a built in advance which means static timing can be more retarded for a soft delivery off tickover if desired with no loss of mid/top end power as the timing will advance as the revs build. I have electronic on my 340 Sherpa and have no idea what it is timed at, I just set it where I'm happy with it.

You're worrying about nothing really, the only time to get the strobe out is if it won't run properly at all, regardless of how you position the stator.

Hello Woody,

Do you turn the backplate anti-clock to retard the ignition ?

Thanks

Hightown

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Model 80 motor in my Sherpa with Elextrex world ignition.

I set it up and strobed it (what a pain)to make sure it was timed as per manual.

I have since retarded it to get it to respond in the way I prefer. Nice and soft at the bottom end but still with enough power to out perform my abilities.

As Woody says just ride and adjust it to suit you, not what the manual says.

I will be at the Greensmith so if you can make it and want a go afterwards just ask.

Regards

martin