Big Dent In Ti Pipe

mikee

Ok i bought and fitted a nice new S3 ti front pipe for the sherco 4t. (Very bling)

Bike was set up and running very well.

But sundays trial came and i manage to dent it even before the first section.. (Gutted)..

So now i'm looking for idears to remove the dent or a person that could do it for me..

I'll get some photos up later today so you can see the damage.

How about getting a kids bicycle inner tube etc, fold it in half so the valve is at the end, feed some string/cord threw the pipe to pull the inner tube in to the pipe, then inflate it to try and pop out the dent.

Or you could try some of the inflatable ladies

Edited by b101uk

Thanks for the sugestions...

Might try the inner tube idear as i have a few around.Not got a freezer big enough to fit it in.

Will also give Kev @ gas gas uk a call as this is where i got the pipe from.

One thing i did find on sunday when rideing the bike with the dented pipe was how it soften the power.

Heres a couple of photos....

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

Edited by MIKEE

Any other idears from anyone????

My generic impression of this would be to plug the ends and apply shop air to the pipe while quickly heating the area to cherry(plyable and working) heat, hoping things hold and do not blow out.

All experimental, and potentially dangerous work with questionable results. May not remove the sharp edges of the bends.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MIKEE,

How are you going with this?

Just to let everyone know that I tried the Freezer trick on my standard Sherco header pipe. The dents are pushed out gradually so the pipe has to be frozen and thawed a number of times.

Well all I can say is that it makes good progress until such time as bloody pipe splits it's seem at the bottom (lowest area) of the pipe. This happened on the 3rd freeze for me.

So I would NOT recommend this method to anyone.... I'm a bit peed to say the least but I've been looking for a good excuse to buy a new one anyway :hyper:

Best of balance.

Neo

If you search in the Gasser forums you'll find that this topic has been discussed. Best way (considering it is Ti) is to cut out the damaged sections, stick 'em on an anvil, beat out the damage and reconstruct. But you'll need to find an engineering firm that can weld Ti.

Edited by TooFastTim

Not sure I'd try the freezer method with a segmented header. On 2 stroke pipes it often splits the welds.

Thanks :agreed: ... but ever heard the story about "after the horse has bolted" :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

Hi MIKEE,

How are you going with this?

Just to let everyone know that I tried the Freezer trick on my standard Sherco header pipe. The dents are pushed out gradually so the pipe has to be frozen and thawed a number of times.

Well all I can say is that it makes good progress until such time as bloody pipe splits it's seem at the bottom (lowest area) of the pipe. This happened on the 3rd freeze for me.

So I would NOT recommend this method to anyone.... I'm a bit peed to say the least but I've been looking for a good excuse to buy a new one anyway :hyper:

Best of balance.

Neo

This is funny! What did you expect!

I think TFT has the best method in mind! I really think these things should be offered on a repair/exchange basis at the cost of them. TI pipes are light, not durable!

Well its still hanging on the workshop wall...

Trying to find anyone that can weld tiaium down this way has been hard..

I've sent a email to S3 hopeing that they might be able to help..

But if anyone knows of someone that could help please let know...

Cheers Mike