"new" Cota 348

sunny

I am new to the Montesa Forum but have posted on the Bultaco Section often. I picked up a Cota 348 bike for $300 (in hindsight too much) and the previous owner told me that it just needed a new kickstart spring. I love the rush of a new project and the hopes of turning it in to something great. But....it turns out that it has a few more issues than just a spring. The kickstart shaft is broken off and the drive gear on the clutch side is welded in place. As well there is something wrong with the shifter side because I found JB weld Epoxy inside the case. What are the chances of finding the required parts at a reasonable cost??? Seems to be fewer sources for Montesa than for Bultaco parts. Thanks for the advice in advance.

I had lots of potential until I started to pull stuff apart.

Sept22010001.jpg

Sept32010002.jpg

Sept32010001.jpg

Sunny

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the clutch drive has been welded to the shaft because the shaft has snapped. This is a common fault because there is a large weight on the end and it works loose and snaps the shaft at the woodruff key. My guess is it will be cheaper to buy a complete engine than try and source spares.

Good luck

I guess I will wait and see what happens I have post an ad on the local internet classifieds looking for a "Parts Bike". I am kind of bitter about the bike and I feel that I was not told the whole truth either he had never pulled the clutch cover when he owned it or he mis-represented the bike. I guess it could be worse but I hate wasting time and the limited $ I have for my projects

Thanks for the tips. I will keep my eyes open for another motor.

Sunny

bambam is right, the shaft snapped and now the flywheel is missing. Replacement of the kickstart shaft requires splitting the cases, so it won't be cheap to fix. You might get lucky and find a crankshaft, on ebay or maybe Southwest Montesa. I'm pretty sure Steve Odell doesn't have an extra crank.

I'm over in Vancouver, and am friends with Steve Coates, the Bultaco guy.

This is so like my initial Montesa experience.

My crank was about to snap, it has a crack running along the bottom of the keyway groove.

I bought another scrap engine on Ebay and have mixed up bits to make one good engine and one that runs but is ready to blow.

I have been very lucky and Sandifords in UK just sold TWO crankshaft halfs on Ebay!

Me and another guy only paid

Is the clutch side flywheel on a taper on a 348 or is it a parallel shaft witha key like on the later 349 just asking btw.

Clutch side flywheel is on a straight shaft (no taper). Clutch drive gear is on a taper.

The clutch side flywheel is on a parallel shaft and on a key and easy to get off as the puller is the same as the one to get the magneto off on the other side. i must say that you can never tell when you buy an old Monty and what has been done to them for people to keep them going. If the bloke you bought it off did all that mess to it he should be strung up by the you know what whats. I was lucky to find another 348 not far from here and will have enough spares until I am popping the flowers up.

• 2 weeks later...