Whats Your Thoughts On This Controversy ?

monkeyboy

I think most of us understand the basic premise that the first guy through the sections is that, the first guy through. Lay the trials out and maybe have someone check some dodgy bits but the sections should not be ridden in their entirity until the trial starts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested reading the " Sections shouldn t be ridden before the trial " I have set out sections in all levels of trialing in the UK and adhere to that rule. Here in France since I have started again to help the local club set out our annual trial, I had more than a raised eyebrow when I saw how it works here.

The sections are set out well in advance and the our club members are allowed to practice the actual section prior to the trial. Obviously the day of the trial the sections are well worn in for the entrants, but more of second nature to the club members who hardly have to walk it as they know it so well. I have watched as the experts break down the sections into parts and when they can do all the indivdual hazards they ride the section in its entireraty.

When I raised the matter, with the " main man " I was politely told this is how it works and all the other clubs do it so............

There you go, what can you say.....

Interested reading the " Sections shouldn t be ridden before the trial " I have set out sections in all levels of trialing in the UK and adhere to that rule. Here in France since I have started again to help the local club set out our annual trial, I had more than a raised eyebrow when I saw how it works here.

The sections are set out well in advance and the our club members are allowed to practice the actual section prior to the trial. Obviously the day of the trial the sections are well worn in for the entrants, but more of second nature to the club members who hardly have to walk it as they know it so well. I have watched as the experts break down the sections into parts and when they can do all the indivdual hazards they ride the section in its entireraty.

When I raised the matter, with the " main man " I was politely told this is how it works and all the other clubs do it so............

There you go, what can you say.....

I understand that a lot of clubs need this 'help' setting out the course for the trial. But riding the sections is clearly gaining an unfair advantage and becomes second nature and they hardly have to walk it as you say. Surely this should be classed as 'cheating' ??

Sorry to hijack such an interesting thread,i just wondered where in France you are Metisse,i live just below basse normandie and am looking to join a club,any help would be gratefully received.

Setting out a course looks to be a time consuming job, so i guess clubs are gratefull of any help given,there are pros and cons to it all but at the end of the day were all sportsmen and women so should accept the way it is and enjoy our riding,just my opinion of course.

Hi Smiffy,

I am down in the Dordogne, quite a hike from you, ty your local bike shop for details of your nearest club, most towns and even villages have one, they are bike crazy here, although sadly trials is a sport in decline both in modern and classic terms.

Goodluck and maybe out paths may cross sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.... I am new to this site and sport and find it very interesting. I looked here to see what the general feel is on the forum.

I do not wish to prolong this debate. but thought I would add my 2p (at the risk of alienating myself with everyone)

My stance would be that, as a new member just looking around to get a feel, you may wish to get that feed back..... especially has some thought to remove it to avoid "viewers" being disillusioned.

My feedback therefore would be ..... Simply look at the original posters question.... IMO he was basically saying what do you think of someone who "snitched". My answer in the forum would have been to indicate what I would have done...i.e. ....... I would have privately spoke to the guy who "breached " the rules and quietly explained the position. I would not have gone to the "authorities" as this was a practice session and no one would have been "done down" by the mistake or moves. But then I don't like snitches.

I do not know the politics (if any) involved here, but it seems to me that some responses were to simply say "learn the rules and get a life" .... not really helpful. Some responses were excellent and informative, not least the original posters response, which seemed to accept the mostly fair and more constructive response.

Suffice to say, that as a new member to this forum, i too learned a lot from this thread and was glad that I read through..... the fact that i felt the need to respond because I found some of the postings almost rude, hopefully shows that the written word can be constructive.... but equally misread and interpreted by some.

Sorry that was more than 2 p..... :closedeyes:

Thanks again for a good site.... I look forward to many more debates.

Stuart