Why Stop Making The 315r?

marky g

At our local trial today and I had the chance to check out one of the last 315R monts (white rear guard one), great bike, top quality, and well sorted (as it should be) why the hell did Montesa just stop making it?

It seems like they have a fully sorted bike in the 315, the closer I looked the more quality bits and bobs I saw...just seems a waste to just stop making it....any thoughts?

Edited by Marky G

I think that Montesa should have continued with the 315 for a few more years, in much of a the same way as Gas Gas did with the TXT. Giving them time to fully develop the 4RT and giving riders the choice.

A 315 Fujigas replica would certainly sold.

Mind you it is a brave decision by Montesa and they should be commended for being fully commited in taking on the 2 strokes in the WTC.

:D Why not put a 2 stroke in the 4rt frame and give riders the choice !

Montesa would have the best built 2 stroke and at a reduced weight from the 315r and a cracking 4 stroke :)

For the indoor rounds the top men could use 2 strokes

and the outdoor they could use 4 strokes

Montesa could have it on a plate ! :angry:

imagine if the 4RT had bombed and didn't sell, Montesa would have been totally screwed!

There's time for it to bomb yet :D (Hope it don't).

It just seems stupid to stop making such a good machine as the 315,,,fair enough if it hadn't sold very well and it was total crap, but the bike is far from that.

The guy at Montesa who made that decision must have some weight on his shoulders by now :angry:

I loved the 315R, I have owned and rode all years of the 315R from 1997 thru 2004... The bike has won Multiple World Indoor titles and multiple World outdoors titles plus a host of other major trials such as the SSDT etc. I now own a 4RT and am 100% convinced that the 4 stroke is the way to go. ...My 2 cents.......D

Edited by D. Sileo

More than anything its got to be down to economics and production methods in Japan. A couple of years ago they sold out for 6 months or so and couldn't make anymore, most likely reason is engine supply. 2 and 4 stroke manufacture would halve (my guess) sales of each, therefore production costs increase maybe by the same. Pretty likely they have one engine manufacture run a year.

After seeing the new 4RT in action (and riding it a bit) I am convinced it is one fine bike! I will own one as soon as Dennis gets tired of the one he's riding and decides to sell it. They are better than I hought they would be. Anyone want to buy a nice 2004 315 R? Jay

the reason why honda-montesa ceased production of the 315 is because of honda's policy of only producing 4 stroke motorcycles mainly due to the american emmision laws. Yes the 315 was/still is a fantastic bike but the 4rt seems to do everything so much easier.

Cabestany was on a very standard sherco and raga's is a Raga surely?

Doubt that........ Mr. Paxau is hardly going to allow his "PXC" branding on a very standard Sherco....... Even if its the 2004 motor, it isn't standard!!

I'm sure somebody will comment on Raga's being a Raga??