Mojo Bands

hrcmonty

News Link

The makers of a controversial wristband have been ordered to offer full refunds on sales of their product.

They claim it improves balance, flexibility and strength by working with the body's energy flow.

The consumer watchdog has delivered a crushing judgment on the popular Power Balance bands by declaring them to be no more beneficial than wearing a rubber band.

It has told the company to give customers their money back if they feel dudded by the sales pitch that the band tunes the body's energy frequency to an ideal 7.83 hertz.

Australian Competition & Consumer Commission chairman Graeme Samuel said Power Balance Australia couldn't provide any scientific evidence to back up the claim.

"Consumers should be wary of other similar products on the market that make unsubstantiated claims, when they may be no more beneficial than a rubber band," he said in a statement.

"Suppliers of these types of products must ensure that they are not claiming supposed benefits when there is no supportive scientific evidence."

Power Balance bands originated in the US and have since adorned the wrists of celebrities and sportspeople the world over.

In Australia, they have been seen on members of the visiting English cricket team, the NRL's Benji Marshall, the AFL's Brendan Fevola, jockey Damien Oliver and dual world surfing champion Mick Fanning. With even actor Russell Crowe an apparent fan of the bands, Mr Samuel said it was easy for Australians to be duped.

"When a product is heavily promoted, sold at major sporting stores and worn by celebrities, consumers tend to give a certain legitimacy to the product and the representations being made," he said. He warned that retailers could face similar legal action if they continue to sell bands in the existing misleading packaging.

Power Balance has promised to remove the offending words from packaging and the band itself, and to publish "corrective advertising". Those seeking a refund have been advised to contact Power Balance.

At a show when I was offered one to try. Holding it in my hand he pushed down on my extended arm but pushed more into me. When I did not have the band he pushed down and outward pulling me off balance. Needless to say I didn't buy one.

Edited by PA.

Show me the literature....

(For non-academic types that means show me the academic papers published in reputable journals e.g. The Lancet)

Can't always trust academic papers either, depends whose funding it and what answers they want out of it. Not much chance of independently financing research but big business can hire the scientists they want to get the results they need. The Gatorade Research Institute for instance do a fantastic job of promoting their products.

JAMA

Can't always trust academic papers either, depends whose funding it and what answers they want out of it. Not much chance of independently financing research but big business can hire the scientists they want to get the results they need. The Gatorade Research Institute for instance do a fantastic job of promoting their products.

JAMA

Billy, that's incredibly cynical. If we all held that opinion we'd regress to living in caves very quickly. Scientific method is the cornerstone of contemporary science and technology.

However, there have been instances to which you refer. One the members is very familiar with them. This is, IMO, very worrying.

However, there have been instances to which you refer. One the members is very familiar with them. This is, IMO, very worrying.

??

Yeah pretty cynical, I've just sat through a lot of presentations that had a huge agenda behind them. Don't get me wrong I love scientific investigation I just prefer it to be independent, yet it's practically impossible for anyone other than big business to fund studies. An open mind is required when reading any paper to view all sides yet frequently they're trusted without a thought, take Ancel Keys and his research, terrible work yet it got steamrollered through.

• 2 months later...

Come on then, what do people think of these bands.

I would imagine that much better results, at a dramatically

reduced cost, would be gained by investing in a large roll

of duct tape to tape your boots to the footpegs.

Jon

• Like 1

I have one and I'm happy with it.

TBH cant say I notice it when riding trials but definitely noticed it when mountain biking. My overall pace and longevity was improved. Now, whether this was due to the MOJO or not I dont know and cant say however I can say 100% it was not a 'in my head' thing.

I felt better when riding and when we stopped for a break 3 of the other guys I ride with commented that my pace was notably quicker than normal and I didn't even remember I had the MOJO band on. It was only when I got back home to shower I realised/remembered I had it on.

Again, not scientific but IMO of benefit.

You will never get a complete answer to this and someone will always be able to pick holes in any 'proof'.

As I've mentioned before on the MOJO band subject - They may just be a placebo, but if you feel they work and you can ride, train, work harder etc as a result then it's surely worth it.

Why are some people so gullible

As P.T. Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute." At that rate, the hoax market will always be a profitable one.

You know that little hologram that comes in Microsoft software packaging? If you cut those out, and stick them on the back of your watch, they work exactly as well as the Mojo bands do!

Edited by DGShannon

Why are some people so gullible :(

Thats the nature of consumerism surely? People want a quick fix and if they believe it helps them then it surely will to some degree. I admit every year when I get a new bike I ride better. At the level I ride at it makes little difference and is no doubt in my head (Matt Jones came out on an old sherco a few weeks back and made a mockery of all of us on brand new bikes). We (you included) buy things that we think will make our lives so much better, its what marketing is all about.

Gatorade claim their drink makes people perform better and longer and spend bucket loads of cash making sure they get the research they want via their own sports science institute. I had a discussion (argument) with one of their trade representatives at a premiership football club when he made some outlandish claims about the product, he claimed it had that

Thats the nature of consumerism surely? People want a quick fix and if they believe it helps them then it surely will to some degree. I admit every year when I get a new bike I ride better. At the level I ride at it makes little difference and is no doubt in my head (Matt Jones came out on an old sherco a few weeks back and made a mockery of all of us on brand new bikes). We (you included) buy things that we think will make our lives so much better, its what marketing is all about.

Gatorade claim their drink makes people perform better and longer and spend bucket loads of cash making sure they get the research they want via their own sports science institute. I had a discussion (argument) with one of their trade representatives at a premiership football club when he made some outlandish claims about the product, he claimed it had that

That was a thoughtful response, well put.

I think the distinction here is housed in two questions:

1. Is there solid emperical scientific evidence to support the claims of the product's supporters?

2. Do some users derive a benefit from the application of the product in spite of the lack of said evidence?

I think the answer is 1.-no and 2.-yes. It's up to each consumer to make his/her own cost/benefit analysis and

I, for one, when making a purchase, am not above listening the the rabid consumer part of my brain that says

"Wow! At that price it's GOT to be so much better than the other gizmos!" rather than the scientist part of

my brain that says " You've got to be kidding!".

Jon

I think you just described religion. In 2005 it was estimated that 88% of the world believed in god, and in the US it was 95% of the population. People believe what they want to or what they've been told to believe and they gain some comfort from their beliefs despite not a lot of evidence.