what do you use to cary spare fuel on a long run?

mark1984

i am curenty trying to find a permenent solution for carrying spare fuel when i am on a long run i can not take a 5 litre jery can as they are to big i have tryied some special 1 litre plastic cans but they some times go off with a bang if you land on them or the top fails. i have tryied some metal drinks bottles but they have bad seals or the top swels up and is very hard to get off.

any idias would be great thanks.

Soft drink (soda) bottles made for carbonated beverages are made from PET (not affected by petrol) and have an extremely high pressure rating. I've tested them with our petrol (pump gas) here and never had a problem with leakage or materials degradadation and they resist abrasion well too. I'm not saying they are suitable for all fuels though as I haven't tested anything other than our petrol in them. A few small bottles is probably safer than one big one and would fit better in a pack.

Depending on what country you are in, they are probably not government-approved for carrying fuel.

Toddlers accidentally drinking from the bottle is a potential hazard when reusing these bottles.

I have not yet needed the extra capacity....but I was thinking of buying a tank from this company. They are considerably cheaper than the one made specifically for trials bikes. I think they would be easy to adapt to a fork/number plate mount. I am not sure they would be any cheaper if you had to ship them from the USA.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24889&clickid=redirect

A bit obvious, but why not the Hebo 1L tank designed for the purpose?

Fiddly to fit on a Beta,(due to the tiny breather design) but works a treat on a Gas Gas.

Failing that i've used a 1L fuel/oil mixing bottle designed for strimmers/chain saws etc. Less than a fiver from garden machinery places

1 Litre isn't enough is my thoughts on bolt on hebo type tank like most I use old oil mix bottles or carbonated drink bottles which make good funnels also, those blow moulded tanks look usefull, probably expensive to get from USA to UK though.

I take 2 x 1L plastic Coke bottles with when I go or a long ride (which is just about every weekend). I have never had one leak or fail but the seals in the lids need to be replaced every couple of months. The nice thing about 2 x 1L is that it sits comfy in the Camelbak Mule net compartment.

thank you all very much for the replys. i have not gone for the hebo bolt on tank as 1 litre is not enough and they are very pricey for what it is i did not want to shell out 12+ gbp for them metal fuel bottles as they can be damaged. i did not know that about the fizzy drinks botttles and i will from now on be useing 1 litre coke bottles easy to replace from time to time and very cost efective thanks guys.