Trials (don't Mention Them)

timp

Just noticed that everybody talks about everything related with trials except the trials we all actually ride in.

Perhaps we could have a forum to discuss which are the best venues in different areas of the country, which trials are worth travelling for, which are the good road trials (we have some good 2 laps of 18-20 section trials eg; Stocksbridge trial, Hipwell trial etc) that are better than many of the nationals.

Which trials are not worth bothering with.

Some organisers put on events which really suit beginners but you don't till you get there.

What routes are provided (Hard - Clubman - Easy - 50/50). Are they what they say. Is there good route marking. Are there good flags, etc.

Championships. Are they worth bothering with or are the other nationals better.

Reviews of trials people have ridden in. Were the queues too big, were the sections good etc.

Mark T

Edited by Timp

I struggle with this "beginers" tag. I am a beginer but I feel that other peoples ideas of beginer are probably of a person more skilled at the trials lark than me, or are they? I suppose I should just go watch a club trial and see what the organisers idea of "beginer" is and see if I fit the bill. Nothing is worse for a persons morale than finding themselves out of their depth....no matter if that's in trials or at work, it's a negative thing and very bad for confidence. So, back to the topic - where in Yorkshire might I find a club trial this year that I could see "beginers" in action?

Edited by PhilSwiv

I agree PhilSwiv...It is hard to KNOW what beginner actually is. Although, I suppose to be fair..it is a fairly impossible question to answer. And Im sure it will vary between clubs.

I'm sure when I return to live in UK, I will probably find myself out of my depth at a few trials...but I guess that is the only way I'll find out where I'm at.

Although Im hoping that someone might go for a practise with me first and then say that I should or shouldnt enter certain trials, and which level to enter at.

Hopefully that will avoid me giving everyone a few hours worth of free circus entertainment!! :angry::D

How do the Classes stack up across the Country for being close in degree of difficulty? For example I know in Canada a rider who is a junior in one area could ride the Intermediate Class in another area. - I think the problem is that the organizers ( I'm one) tend to cater for the best riders in the local area ( which is ok) but the "Out of towners" are sometimes in the wrong class for their ability. As for course marking etc, there is no excuse for bad route marking, unless somebody has taken down the flags. - Again we seem to have more good riders than good organizers.

The south western centre put on some of the best trials in the country, and in there gazette the trials are graded at the top of the page. So you know that a championship round is going to be fairly hard, but a trial listed as moderate grade B will be easy. :angry:

Perhaps we could have a forum to discuss which are the best venues in different areas of the country, which trials are worth travelling for, which are the good road trials (we have some good 2 laps of 18-20 section trials eg; Stocksbridge trial, Hipwell trial etc) that are better than many of the nationals.

Which trials are not worth bothering with.

Some organisers put on events which really suit beginners but you don't till you get there.

I can easily set this up if there's demand. It's up to you lot!

Andy,

If its a separate forum it might encourage organisers to post details of the trials they are running giving details of what type of venue, how many laps, length of lap, what ability of rider usually competes, directions to the event, is there a refreshment van, roadwork, how many routes. how much to enter etc etc.

Riders reports on the events would give valuable feedback to the organisers and help riders choose events that are worth a go. At the moment if you want details of a trial the usual way is to look in t&mx news in the regs available. this only gives the basic details. A forum could be a useful way of getting the extra info on an event.

Do any of the organisers or riders on here think it's worth a go.

Mark T

For those looking for Beginners series in the Yorkshire area a number of clubs run them. Yeadon Guiseleys Beginners Trials this year start on 5th March At Dob Park Just outside Otley. Bradford's Beginners series has had two already this year(they start in November) Just watch out for "Autotowbars" on the regs. Horsforth Run their Beginners at Tong between Leeds and Bradford. Spen Valley also run a beginners series of trials as well as the previously mentioned Hudderfield Falcons.

For those with Kids on TY80's and REV50 and just starting "C" class, "Conducted trials" are held by Yeadon Guiseley (at every trial excepting The Chris Carter, Mel Harrison Sidecar, The reunion trial(over 30's only but not a differcult course)and The MacKenzie National). Ripon Also have conducted trials on the same day as their evening trials and have a "easy" and "hard" course for the Kids at an earlier time, (usually 3 to 3.30). Bradford's Beginners are also good to get them used to a standard trials format and most of the sections can be done by a TY80/REV.

Edited by Telecat

I ride in North Yorkshire and I have found that the Eboracum trials are usually pretty well organised and the D-course is consistently easy but fun for beginners.

Afew of the other specifically 'easy' trials I have been to in this area organised by other clubs have only offered one course and it is often aimed at the clubman riders. And so they haven't actually been as easy as they were suggested to be by the orgainsers.

I'd agree the "D" class course at Eboracum is pretty easy. Richmond do have an "easy" TY80 course as well.

I'd say its tough for the organisers to pitch the level of difficulty but most get it right most of the time. They also do feel the need to put in a challenge here and there which will sort out the results. Also its good to take the Begineers to some of the venues used for Club and national trials so that they can see what they are up againest! Having said that and having Observed for Bradford and Yeadon at these trials some riders are never going to progress and others will never want to progress and the clubs are quite rightly not going to force them.

They are there for a good time on a saturday or sunday and don't won't the pressure! Others after being away a while are coming back to gauge how good they are, or to introduce their kids to the sport, (Steve Lampkin comes to mind). They then move on or drop out again as their kids get better. Just try out as many as are in your area. You'll get to know which are best for you. Oh and if you are a friend/dad/relative going along to watch and your friend/son/daughter will let you, do as I do and help the club out by being an Observer. :angry:

Edited by Telecat

Guest gasgastxtpro

Dunno, maybe theres a new forum, in the working i think its a good idea.

Although to avoid the topics going off like this one, there should only be recognised club officials allowed to post in them, then people could pm those people for further details and if nescessary post int he new forum?

What do you think andy?

Richard