Chain cutter

davet

I just use a grinder and cut the heads off the rivet and then use a punch to drive the pins out. It only takes a few minutes......and it is cheap to do. A bench grinder or hand held grinder works fine.

Edited by 1oldbanjo

I just use a grinder and cut the heads off the rivet and then use a punch to drive the pins out. It only takes a few minutes......and it is cheap to do. A bench grinder or hand held grinder works fine.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Me too - too tight to buy proper tool which inevitably breaks, jams or snaps!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Me too - too tight to buy proper tool which inevitably breaks, jams or snaps!!

Same as me. I carry a good chainbreaker for the events but like to use the grinder

in the shop to avoid any distortion of the end-link bushing.

Jon

Same as me. I carry a good chainbreaker for the events but like to use the grinder

in the shop to avoid any distortion of the end-link bushing.

Jon

I have a chain breaker that is the same style as the one posted on ebay. I bought it at a bearing shop about 20 years ago. I have used it on many chains and not just motorcycle chains. The trick to keep it from distoting the links is to not try to push one pin through all at once but to alternate from one pin to the other only pushing a little at a time. It's much better than a grinder and a punch

• 2 weeks later...