Dean's New Toy

alan bechard

Alan,

Come on, that's no trials Uni?

Patrick's got a couple of uni's and I doubt he would try that one in any real section?

If you fall off the one Dean's riding in section one, he might land in section 4?

That looks more like something Noel would build, many, many years ago.

Craig, R2,

Poorly worded on my part.

Here is Dean's latest toy, the 5' Giraffe that he has been asking for that we got him for Christmas. He is doing really well on it imo. I have not taken him through the unicycle standard tests to see what level he is at, but I believe he could pass many of the skills tests quite easily.

He is rapidly reaching the limits of his Sun 18" and I have been looking at the various 20" Trials Unicycles available. Fortunately there are many folks associated with Team RYP / Sherco USA that love the unicycles and between them there are several brands represented. WWW.unicycles.com has also recently come out with a nimbus Trials unicycle for $169 which seems like a very reasonable price for the quality in the picture but when I went back too look at it, they are currently out of stock.

The next model that they have in stock is $229 and it steadily climbs from there all the way up to about $1400 for the Kris Holmes with Magura brake that Dean wants (Andy, know any circus folks looking?)

Debating how much to spend, a good 20" is something he could ride the rest of his life. I bought the cheapest 18" knowing he would outgrow it soon, and like the electric guitar it could end up just sitting in the corner of the living room as a decoration. Wish to heck I had that $200 spent on the guitar to spend on the uni!

Craig, I heard Big Dean, Matt, and Cody where going up to the Motorama with Unicycles. How did that work out?

We ought to get everyone together at this years Youth Nationals for a little fun. Last year Ryan rode the bicycle Trials sections on his.

Anyway, I will get Dean a true Trials UNI, just trying to sort out how much quality to how much $ I should go for.

Alan, My name is Sam Markley and I spoke to you at the DIXIE CUP 2004, we were washing are motos, I had the Montesa, on Saturday afternoon.

I just wanted you to know that I will be hosting a couple bike trials events this summer. First one will be April 23 at the BadLands in Attica, Indiana in the area were the ROCK CRAWLING JEEPS run. This is actually a motorcycle park with like 500 acers, many qauds run there also, camping is available.

But the trials area is off limits to all machines accept trials bike and jeeps!

should be a fun time.

The big event will be a two day at Warsaw, Indiana May 21/22. This place is actually a MTB park which is located 1 hour west of FT. Wayne Indiana.

There is on site primitive camping, on site showers. Last years we had a event which had a attendance of 28 riders, Pat Smage was one of them and he plans to attend again. We where very happy for the turn out last year being a first time event. This is also a great place to bring the ladies along to, its on the edge of a Artist Village which host many little shops and eaterys. Also a block away is a beach on a very nice lake.

The MTB track its self is very nice, 10 miles of the fastest rolling singal track in the Midwest, by far the best track in Indiana, well maintained.

The big surprise at Motorama for me was the amount of Uni-riders, correct me if I'm wrong, there may have been 25 or even more. I spoke to many of them and they are aware of are event in May. There was a young man named Ryan out of Canada who they say is as good as Kris Holmes maybe even better! He was very interested to attend are event and also would like to add it as a possible National for the Uni-cycles.

I know this is a long ride from Tenn. but we have been contacted by people from Texas, Minn. and many people from the east coast.

Also, we will allow a rider to compete both Uni and Bikes during the event for one fee. I'll post the Flyer here in the near future.

sam

Had a friend from High School who used to be part of a Unicycle Trick riding team and used to ride one around 8 foot high. Needed to climb onto the roof of the house to get on it. He said the taller bikes are easier to ride than the normal ones.

Hi Sam, that sounds great, Dean is really digging the Unicycles and is pretty darn comfortable on them. I think part of it is that I cannot do them.

Not sure what all we are going to make it too this year. Seems that once again, I have stuck too many irons in the fire and I am currently trying to figure out which ones I really need to tend, and which I need to let burn up on the side. I know Dean would love it so we will plug it in on the schedule and see what else is there.

Hey Charlie, you going to make the YN again this year?

That one is in concrete on our schedule.

On a sidebar, looks like Christina may go spend a year in Deutshland after this summer.... Now there is world experience for you.

Anyway, hope to see both of you guys sometime this year.

And PA, while it may be easier, I can tell you that when you sit down on that thing (I cannot ride a small one either) that it is purely terrifying. Thoughts of Vlad the impaler came to mind and I did not have the courage to let go......

And PA, while it may be easier, I can tell you that when you sit down on that thing (I cannot ride a small one either) that it is purely terrifying.  Thoughts of Vlad the impaler came to mind and I did not have the courage to let go......

Neither would I Alan. ;)