TY250 bits to a TY175

kimpybugalugs

Hi TY Gurus

I have a TY175 circa 1976 - mines great except knackered wheels (spokes missing, rims pitted, hubs look corroded, remaining spokes rusty).

I have just acquired a TY250 also circa 1976. It's wheels are in brilliant condition - clean, straight and very recent new spokes

Can I straight swap them so the good wheels are on the TY175? I cannot see any difference but thought I'd ask first? Even the hubs look identical?

I'll probably swap the forks/yokes as well - I've read on here that the 250 forks are more suited to heavier riders (I'm over 100kg) - any advice appreciated.

Are the rear shocks a straight swap as well? Anyone know standard length for TY175 and TY250?

Thanks in advance for your help, advice, criticism (from the 250 fans I expect) etc.

Here is a link to see if the part numbers are the same.

I have done the exact same swap. Don't really know if they are exact swap but they do fit. I think the 175 shocks have a softer spring rate but someone else will have to fill that information in.

@Alan_nc,

sorry but if you are going with the parts numbers you will have a proble.Yamaha parts have normaly a different nuber when it is the same part for a different bike.

@kimpybualugs,

the wheels strait fit,the brakes too,shocks are a bit longer from the 125/175 but will fitt,Fork fitt's but with the yoke.so 175 forke with 175 yoke and 250 fork with 250 yoke.Front Mudgrad will fitt,coil will fitt,Tank(the 250 is alloy and will fit if you put the bracket of the seat one hole back.On the engine you can use Dt 125/DT 175 parts like engine covers.Even the complete engine will fitt.

Hope that helps a bit.

Chrs:Mike

Here is a link to see if the part numbers are the same.

I have done the exact same swap. Don't really know if they are exact swap but they do fit. I think the 175 shocks have a softer spring rate but someone else will have to fill that information in.

Hi Alan

Link didn't show?

Can you try again I'd like to have a look.

Thanks

TY 250 rear hub is same as TY175, but uses sproket with diff offset (& probably diff # of teeth)

Are TYoffroad building the stroker kit now or still developing it?

Dont know if they have them for sale yet. Just saw it on the website. Best to give them a call and ask. Sorry but i dont have a 175 just a 250 so i dont know.