SSDT - An attainable goal?

grahamjayzee

Hi All,

Daft question time:

How hard is the SSDT?

To put that in more words; I'm an average clubman that rides the clubbie route in Sarf Midlands trials. I've done so (despite a long break) for many years and usually survive a Sunday. I'm pretty fit (4 London Marathon finishes and many, many half marathins, 10k etc) and am unlikely to croak with a week of hard effort.

As a follower of the sport for many years, as far as I'm concerned the SSDT is THE trial to do. It's on the bucket list...

The question is, is it an attainable goal? Is an average clubmen going to record so many fives and damage themselves so badly as to incovenience others and generally get in the way? I'd love to do it once bfore I'm called.

I'd love to hear the experiences of similar wobblers.

Graham

Hi All,

Daft question time:

How hard is the SSDT?

To put that in more words; I'm an average clubman that rides the clubbie route in Sarf Midlands trials. I've done so (despite a long break) for many years and usually survive a Sunday. I'm pretty fit (4 London Marathon finishes and many, many half marathins, 10k etc) and am unlikely to croak with a week of hard effort.

As a follower of the sport for many years, as far as I'm concerned the SSDT is THE trial to do. It's on the bucket list...

The question is, is it an attainable goal? Is an average clubmen going to record so many fives and damage themselves so badly as to incovenience others and generally get in the way? I'd love to do it once bfore I'm called.

I'd love to hear the experiences of similar wobblers.

Graham

Mate,

I have the same thoughts about the SSDT as yourself. I have been wondering for a few years about attempting the Scottish and have not entered yet. I have been up to watch the last five or so years and had a good look at lots of the sections and have concluded that most of the sections I have seen are ridable by a good clubman. However there are a good many that some o the top guys struggle with even when the weather is kind. I think the main issue is the cumulative effect of the mileage, the moors, the weather and your how you are riding on the various days of the trial.Obviously if you are dragging your bike out of every section you will be buggered by lunchtime. I have seen guys I know from my club, who are a good bit better than myself really struggling in some of the sections and others looking like death warmed up towards the end of the day. On the other hand I have seen guys that are about par with myself having a great time and laughing and joking with the spectators.

I think that if you are generally fit, have plenty of bike time before the event and ride sensibly between sections there is every chance of getting to the finish. As you say its one of the events thats a must do before we are too old or the NIMBYs get a hold of it!

I too will be interested to hear what other wobblers thought of their first Scottish and any tips or advice they may have.

Mate,

I have the same thoughts about the SSDT as yourself. I have been wondering for a few years about attempting the Scottish and have not entered yet. I have been up to watch the last five or so years and had a good look at lots of the sections and have concluded that most of the sections I have seen are ridable by a good clubman. However there are a good many that some o the top guys struggle with even when the weather is kind. I think the main issue is the cumulative effect of the mileage, the moors, the weather and your how you are riding on the various days of the trial.Obviously if you are dragging your bike out of every section you will be buggered by lunchtime. I have seen guys I know from my club, who are a good bit better than myself really struggling in some of the sections and others looking like death warmed up towards the end of the day. On the other hand I have seen guys that are about par with myself having a great time and laughing and joking with the spectators.

I think that if you are generally fit, have plenty of bike time before the event and ride sensibly between sections there is every chance of getting to the finish. As you say its one of the events thats a must do before we are too old or the NIMBYs get a hold of it!

I too will be interested to hear what other wobblers thought of their first Scottish and any tips or advice they may have.

Forget general type fitness, it's all about bike time!

Enter the Reeth 3 Day, if you manage to get a ride & cope okay with that you'll have a fair gauge of your abilities, if that half kills you the SSDT is way beyond you. Having said that I know several very ordinary club riders that have carried a bike round the SSDT for a finishers certificate. Try some of the Northern Nationals, they'll help your rock riding abilties. Cleveland, Jack Wood, Wainwright, Allan Jefferies, White Rose all spring to mind. Without doing some of these events I'd say a spin round Scotland is a bit of a leap of faith.

Interesting...

I was hoping everyone would say something like "you need to be a half decent expert rider to even consider it". The seed has now been planted; the easy bit is now getting the skills, practice time, some northern trials, a new bike etc etc.

The hard part is convincing the present Mrs Jayzee...

Interesting...

I was hoping everyone would say something like "you need to be a half decent expert rider to even consider it". The seed has now been planted; the easy bit is now getting the skills, practice time, some northern trials, a new bike etc etc.

The hard part is convincing the present Mrs Jayzee...

Just say that all the lads on TC said it was OK. :icon_salut:

Truth is most riding are average clubmen, and for the most part the sections are designed with them in mind, you will see one or two sections per day that will get your attention.

You wouldn't run flat out at the start of a marathon, same applies for the SSDT, just find a pace that is comfortable and keep plodding away.

You can wonder what it would be like for the rest of your life, but there is only one true way to find out.

Never ridden it, only been to watch it once and with you on the achievement side of things, but I know how hard the sections look, I know how bloody miserable the weather can be and know how tough the road riding and moors riding is, but saying all that, what have you got to lose ? other than a failure !

Go for it fella :icon_salut:

Hi - Just to add my 10 pennerth !

As a average clubman rider I rode the SSDT in 1992 - It was the experience of a lifetime!

Do it again? NO

Glad I did it? YES.

The SSDT was physically demanding that year due to extreme weather everyday. Plus I broke a bone in my left hand in a fall on the Wednesday AM which nearly finished my ride.From that point on hard (for me) became extremely hard.

Some excellent comments already made - I'd suggest you went up to watch first and try and see whats involved and in between the sections as well - that is the part that I found the killer (poor weather made it very hard)

Got my finish so chuffed to bits and still am 19 years on :thumbup:

If you are fit, and have a inkling to ride the SSDT then go for it ! The memories will stay with you forever !

But get saving up as its not exactly cheap to do.

Best of luck !

GAW.

If you have good "running" fitness then that is a good start - you can build on this by doing weights etc - I can send you the schedule we used to use, under supervision of a coach, which was specifically designed for the Scottish ISDT squad, which ages it a bit and theories may have changed so it's worth consulting an expert. Spikeyone got this a couple of years ago and may care to comment on its effectiveness.

The biggest riding problems are not being used to the rocky sections and the very lengthy between section going. Your mud technique should adapt to the bogs.

I would encourage you to have a go and, before somebody quotes comments I have made recently about some entrants to the Pre'65, I would say that you obviously have the skill and experience to assess whether you are up to the physical demands of something once you understand what is involved.

I've ridden twice and can say that my biggest regret in trials riding is probably not having done so more often, so go for it.

OK it's not cheap but it is not that much dearer in actual pounds than it was 30 years ago, if I remember right, so is really less expensive now.

Looked at realistically competitors get an absolute bargain with the main men (I have no direct link with the Club) spending their own time and money to sort out routes and sections in the months leading up to the event. How much is a return trip to the Fort without factoring in bike fuel etc?

Edited by 2/4

biggest problems getting an entry,failed last three times i've tried.

i would firstly try some proper northern trials as suggested,jack wood is an excellent event to do in the run up to scotland and the loch lomond 2 day is always good.if you struggle at these i would really have a hard think about the ssdt ,there can be some very hard days,helps to be mechanically competent as well ,ie swop a tube with minimum tools or strip the carb at the side of a road.

it's not just the trial it's preperation as well ....bike and body.