Rusty Nipples

drake

You should be able to do so with good success if you keep them tensioned evenly. Worst thing can happen is you may need to have someone re-true them a bit.

I have used the silecone grease on the threads as well to keep corrosion down. If yours are rusty on the outside, you may find the threads are corroded as well! :rolleyes:

Can't I get nipples out of a non corrosive material?

Brass or stainless steel

Divent bother,if the problem is just cosmetic,just faff on with a dremel to tidy them up then paint them as others have suggested.

Stainless steel can be a pain in the 4r5e.....HERE <_<

Just ask any Montesa owner(315/4rt) who used S/S bolts to retain their front brake calliper to their forks :(

Edited by HAM2

I have black nipples - mine were rusty too, but just treated them with Trustan 2000 rust killer. your a braver man than me if you want to change them 1 by 1. Think carefully before heading off down that road.

My advice would be ; Treat them, paint them or wire wool them. dont worry about them unless they are loose, then you can cut the offender out (cos the thread will be knackered)and replace it.

Can't I get nipples out of a non corrosive material?

Brass or stainless steel

Mixing dissimilar metals can lead to 'galvanic corrosion', have a look HERE for a better explanation.

Stainless steel and alloy are particularly renowned for their incompatability so it's wise to keep them apart in most cases?

If I need to true up a buckled wheel these days I don't even bother trying to free up the nipples as there's a 50/50 chance of them breaking at the thread base and applying heat will only weaken them. I order a dozen new spokes and cut off the old ones. Simples.

Clean 'em up and paint 'em and nobody will know any different.

GJ :wacko: