increasing oil level fork

vgstef

Hello, i like to get a stiffer feel in the front fork on the evo 2009 and some guys are saying to increse the oil level in the fork. Do i need to increse the level in both fork ? I know that one fork in the compression the the other is the rebound .

Thank you

The air in the forks compreses as the fork travels up, acting as a secondary spring as the forks compress.

Reducing the airspace by increasing oil height would seemto me to have a more signifigant effect at near full compression whrer the space would be reduced.

Increasing spring preload will effect rate throuout range.

There are limits to both in spring coil bind or hydroulic lock, but you could play with say adding 20ml or so which is going to reduce your airspace when compressed a fair amount I would think.

Hello, i like to get a stiffer feel in the front fork on the evo 2009 and some guys are saying to increse the oil level in the fork. Do i need to increse the level in both fork ? I know that one fork in the compression the the other is the rebound .

Thank you

are the forks bottomimg out or is the action too soft? I assume you have adjusted the preload, it doesn't really matter if they have different amounts of oil per fork, I always use the same amount per fork unless the manufacturer recomends a differnt amount, one thought is to change from 5 to 7 weight on the compression leg to slow the action, adding more oil will change the bottom out point but won't really make it stiffer.

are the forks bottomimg out or is the action too soft? I assume you have adjusted the preload, it doesn't really matter if they have different amounts of oil per fork, I always use the same amount per fork unless the manufacturer recomends a differnt amount, one thought is to change from 5 to 7 weight on the compression leg to slow the action, adding more oil will change the bottom out point but won't really make it stiffer.

I am trying to get the same feel that the gas gas 280 2010 have with the marz. fork. I love the feel on the gas gas .

A "new to me" 2008 Rev 3 had the same issue. The forks felt very harsh like they were just blowing through their travel. Upon disassembly, I found the compression side was about 1" low on oil. The manual is incorrect in that it shows the oil level measured with the spring in place so maybe that is why is was low. The rebound side was about 1/4" high possibly because the cartridge was not fully bled of air. It took a long time to get the air out when I put in new oil. Once the oil levels were set to spec, there was a very big difference. The forks are nice and firm, possibly even a little too firm for my taste. The manual's oil volume numbers did appear corredt.

Adjusting oil level is a common fork tuning procedure but since the right and left forks have different internals, they may have different volumes which could have different compression rations and therefore a