Starting problems

adam1

Hi all,

When i crash which is on a regular basis, if the bike goes uposide down or on its side for any length of time obviously the engine gets starved of fuel and shuts off or just stalls. After this event the bike is a real pig to start oftern taking 10 mins or so and loads of kicking to get it started again, which takes its toll on me, as i am not the fittest of people and effects my riding for the rest of the trial.Could any one shed any light on why this is and what i could do to stop this happening or eleviate the problem apart from just not crashing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Adam

P.s bike runs well other than that and kicks up first time. She sometimes stalls on down hills but that might be me and leaks fuel out of the overflo but i havent set the tangs yet in the carb this is my next job.

P.s bike runs well other than that and kicks up first time. She sometimes stalls on down hills but that might be me and leaks fuel out of the overflo but i havent set the tangs yet in the carb this is my next job.

I think you may have answered your own question, sounds like you need to adjust your float level to sort the symptoms you mention and I suspect your main issued will be resolved as well.

Good luck

I think you may have answered your own question, sounds like you need to adjust your float level to sort the symptoms you mention and I suspect your main issued will be resolved as well.

Good luck

I will try and tackle that this week and post how i get on.

Cheers

Adam

usually when a bike goes over on its side it actually floods the engine, hense why the difficulty of restarting.

next time try holding the throttle wide open for a couple of kicks then proceed to start it the normal way.

hi

i will try this next time it happens

cheers Adam

i know from bitter experience how this feels, my method

1. pick bike up, swear.

2. turn fuel off , swear some more.

3. lay bike over as far as you can (on side if possible)(to drain the carb)

4. pick bike upright, two or three kicks with the throttle wide open.

5. shut throttle and kick again, 9 time out of 10 it will fire up, turn fuel back on and attempt next section.

6. repeat 10 time a lap for 4 laps, then utter the immortal "bit tricky today".

Paul is dead on. The swearing helps but under your breath if there are young'uns about. They'll learn soon enough.

When the bike is tipped over the float valve opens and the fuel just dribbles into the carb throat and down into the engine. That means you've got a great source of fuel already sitting in the bottom of your crankcase when you pick the bike up. That does two things, makes the mixture extremely rich which is why you kick it over with the throttle wide open and the fuel tap off to try and purge some of the fuel out of the crankcase. The other problem is the spark plug has now probably seen more fuel then is wise and has fouled. After a little while a hot engine will cause the fuel to evaporate off the plug but until it does you can kick like a gorilla and there will be no fire in the hole. In cases where it just won't fire pull the plug and drop in a fresh one and most times it'll start right up. MotionPRO makes a flat racheting (sp?) spark plug wrench that's easy to carry and can get into the tiny space Beta allows for such things.

Do NOT remove the plug and kick it over to get the fuel out of the crankcase unless you are wearing a NOMEX suit and have a big fire extinguisher nearby. Trust me on this. I hold the world record for the flaming Bultaco throw. Damn lucky I didn't burn my sister's house down.

I was younger and stupider then....

Well I was younger.

Edited by Dan Williams

Paul is dead on. The swearing helps but under your breath if there are young'uns about. They'll learn soon enough.

When the bike is tipped over the float valve opens and the fuel just dribbles into the carb throat and down into the engine. That means you've got a great source of fuel already sitting in the bottom of your crankcase when you pick the bike up. That does two things, makes the mixture extremely rich which is why you kick it over with the throttle wide open and the fuel tap off to try and purge some of the fuel out of the crankcase. The other problem is the spark plug has now probably seen more fuel then is wise and has fouled. After a little while a hot engine will cause the fuel to evaporate off the plug but until it does you can kick like a gorilla and there will be no fire in the hole. In cases where it just won't fire pull the plug and drop in a fresh one and most times it'll start right up. MotionPRO makes a flat racheting (sp?) spark plug wrench that's easy to carry and can get into the tiny space Beta allows for such things.

Do NOT remove the plug and kick it over to get the fuel out of the crankcase unless you are wearing a NOMEX suit and have a big fire extinguisher nearby. Trust me on this. I hold the world record for the flaming Bultaco throw. Damn lucky I didn't burn my sister's house down.

I was younger and stupider then....

Well I was younger.

Thanks for the info guy's makes more sense now, i just thought it was cos it was italian. I love the bike and enjoy trials so now i no how to overcome this minor problem i can get back to crashing

Adam

Watching flames shoot out what looked like 10 feet to either side of the bike while you're holding the bars gets your attention very quickly. So does the smell of all the hair on your arms burning off in a flash. I've carried a fire extinguisher ever since.