Bike rack from Autowbars in Bradford

jonabonospen

running costs for a van.. trafic 04 plate. mpg 39.1 at the mo though i am on stealth mode trying to get even more. tax 170 insurance 320 for a nearly 50 fat bloke with a zillion years no claims seats 3.. spot on until you get to the repair bills.... oh cost me 8k 5 years ago inc vat

The point i was trying to make particularly with tong which is massively popular with practice days and trials,and as i say there is no proof but bikes have been "chosen",they watch whatever transport you use,follow you from the trial.

I'm thinking of going that way, for the same reasons. How does running the van compare with running a car and a trailer/bike rack?

Apart from being superbly convenient because you can use it for so many things other than just shipping your bikes(s) around, running a van for just a few months has got me to the point where I am thinking of getting rid of my car (as well as selling the van I bought) so I can buy a better van.

Insurance is lower, mileage is about the same, but I get let out of junctions so much more often! It's nice to be raised up above the rest of the traffic, too. It's great to dump muddy clothing/boots/bikes in the back and just not have to worry about it.

There are 3 seats (well, 2 1/2 really) and the van I have (Fiat Scudo) drives like a car. The only downer is that it's not the easiest thing to see out of the back of (due to having a bulkhead fitted) so you have to be very steady when reversing.

OK, so it gets a few comments from the neighbours, mates take the mickey for a while (until they want to use your van to shift something) and it's arguably a step down if you're concerned about status, but if I'm honest, it suits my lifestyle, so I am now officially happy to become a full time vannist.

Edited by Mikey

Apart from being superbly convenient because you can use it for so many things other than just shipping your bikes(s) around, running a van for just a few months has got me to the point where I am thinking of getting rid of my car (as well as selling the van I bought) so I can buy a better van.

Insurance is lower, mileage is about the same, but I get let out of junctions so much more often! It's nice to be raised up above the rest of the traffic, too. It's great to dump muddy clothing/boots/bikes in the back and just not have to worry about it.

There are 3 seats (well, 2 1/2 really) and the van I have (Fiat Scudo) drives like a car. The only downer is that it's not the easiest thing to see out of the back of (due to having a bulkhead fitted) so you have to be very steady when reversing.

OK, so it gets a few comments from the neighbours, mates take the mickey for a while (until they want to use your van to shift something) and it's arguably a step down if you're concerned about status, but if I'm honest, it suits my lifestyle, so I am now officially happy to become a full time vannist.

Agreed

The old car rack is a nightmare come winter time with the roads gritted, then the frozen tap back home. It does hammer your car over the years a rack, as mine has a few scratches now and im able to grow potatoes in the boot.

Best bet let Greg pick you up ;)

Looking at adding a towbar to Nicola's car while I do not have a job with a car.....

Always wonder what weight the actual towbar and its construction can manage from a leverage point of view. Are they not rated at about 50kg ?

I do have a single bike, light trailer, so maybe a very simple box type cover would be an option to keep some eyes off the bike and keep it clean on the roads (well, to some extent)

In the mean time I need to buy the bike, which could be happening on Friday.

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking of going that way, for the same reasons. How does running the van compare with running a car and a trailer/bike rack?

i have been running a fiat dispatch van as my every day car and bike carrier on a weekend,

good on fuel drives like a car cheaper insurance than your average car and takes 3 mx bikes so would defo fit 3-4 trials bikes in there.

I had a bike rack for years on the back of my astra and never had any issues. :guinness: