At last I have turned to the dark side

toofasttim

Claudio, about the iTunes bit on Wine. Don't bother. The default music player, (Rythmbox) in Ubuntu recognises iPods. Better still is you can take music OFF the iPod and bring it into Rythmbox.This is strictly verboten in iTunes 'cause then every kid would be ripping music off every other kids iPod.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a bit ironic in retrospect, but I posted up something on here a couple years back to all the gurus re- the change to Vista prior to ventureing into all that. Got little response at the time.

In retro, think I wudda kept the XP just as this old one in the shed. Got two now on Vista, one laptop, one desktop, both dog slow, but do work.

Just retired an old slow machine on XP due to the wifeys moaning and groaning. Got a budget machine running Win7 pro, and it seems to be a winner! Time will tell, but I may yet convert the Vista machines, as seems it can be done for on the cheap. You gotta buy the keys!

Claudio, about the iTunes bit on Wine. Don't bother. The default music player, (Rythmbox) in Ubuntu recognises iPods. Better still is you can take music OFF the iPod and bring it into Rythmbox.This is strictly verboten in iTunes 'cause then every kid would be ripping music off every other kids iPod.

I think this is a lot of what initially put me off the "I pod" thing after inheriting one from the daughter. Cannot transfer files to my computer and such.

I think the digital format is good, as Tim stated, but yet the Chineese junk, has anyone tried a SONY?

That's very useful Tim .... Will it upload videos onto the iPod/iPhone too?.... and also sort the Music/Video playlists out too?

Can't see why not. AFAIK the iPod and iPhone look the same to the 'puter/OS. I only get to see the songs (no vids) on the iPod. No playlists. So they appear, to Rythmbox, as flat files.

Copey: kid was bitching about his machine getting slower and slower and wanted a new machine (because he's got jack idea about managing data and, on windows, doing the occasional defrag) so I took his old machine threw off windows and installed Ubuntu. Now he's green with envy.

I know there are some really thin versions of Linux. Boot off a USB memory stick stuff.

Edited by TooFastTim

I think this is a lot of what initially put me off the "I pod" thing after inheriting one from the daughter. Cannot transfer files to my computer and such.

You need iTunes. Free from Apple.

I think the digital format is good, as Tim stated, but yet the Chineese junk, has anyone tried a SONY?

Can't remember. I went through about three of 'em (shop was p****d with me exchanging them) but paid a little for an iPod and Bob's your uncle.

Cannot transfer files to my computer and such.

There are apps that allow you to transfer files into allocated folders but a JailBroken iPhone/iPod/iPad does not suffer from these daft limitations :thumbup:

Best of balance.

NEO ... yes that me Tim :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, that thing still running?

I just got the old P4 XP machine out the wifeys domain. May load it up and try in the shed just for S&G if it is not too consuming!

What browser? Or does it come loaded?

Yeah Mark. LAN is still ropey but no probs. Comes standard with Firefox. Nice thing about Linux/Ubuntu is it isn't resource hungry like Windows.

Yeah Mark. LAN is still ropey but no probs. Comes standard with Firefox. Nice thing about Linux/Ubuntu is it isn't resource hungry like Windows.

Just thinking about the process on this. Would suppose I would need to download the program, create a bootable disc, then hopefully there are wipe/format and install options?

How does that process go? :rolleyes:

No actually Cope you can go onto the Ubuntu website and they will post you a bootable CD for free!!!

And yes there are dual-boot wipe/format and over-install options.

Best of Ubuntu

Neo