At last I have turned to the dark side

toofasttim

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim,

Let us know how that goes. My boys was into Ubuntu (until he blew up his notebook ;) ) but if you get Wine and iTunes running that would be the business :thumbup:

Any chance of checking out MS Office 2010 too?

Best of balance.

Neo

iTunes on top of wine is a bit flaky Claudio. But for installation see: iTunes on Wine

Haven't tried MS-Office 'cause Ubuntu comes with open office. Experience says it's close to office but no cigar. I haven't tried this version yet. As a spur to get your kids into maths (or at least make it a lot more fun) download scilab. It runs on Windoze too.

I do have some problems with the wireless LAN but on 802.3 it's A-OK.

Ubuntu installation is a peice of cake.

At least I'm cultured :rolleyes:

I sell Jeeps, and Jeep accessories! Duh! What do you expect?

Ok, so tell me, because I am ignorant, and this crap is not on the top of my list.

So you are running a open source(free) OS on your puter, with a layered program to try to incorporate the "I"crap to a linux workings. Am I following ?

It sucks in the translation, a bit , but works. Am I ok soo far?

What all this has to do with your wireless, I cannot get, unless you are trying to network something to something.

Is there a benifit to it all?

Now as I say that, I admit a personall destain for things with an "I" in front of it as I have not been converted to that, either.

And yes, I have a great love for the classics, such as analog radio! Pick your poison, have not found a specific need for digital music, maybe just too open minded and simple. I find it relaxing! And I do not purchase songs. No agenda. And I really like the diversity when and if I travel.

Ok, so tell me, because I am ignorant, and this crap is not on the top of my list.

So you are running a open source(free) OS on your puter, with a layered program to try to incorporate the "I"crap to a linux workings. Am I following ?

It sucks in the translation, a bit , but works. Am I ok soo far?

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. Wine is a layer that sits between iTunes (windows version) and Linux. In other words Wine translates between Windows and Linux.

Don't diss iPods. You can hate Steve Jobs and the yuppie factor all you like but they're bloody wonderful. Your entire CD collection on a box smaller than a cigarette packet. I tried with the cheap Korean knock-offs but had endless crap getting music on to them

What all this has to do with your wireless, I cannot get, unless you are trying to network something to something.

Is there a benifit to it all?

I have the Ubuntu machine on a wireless lan connection. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I doubt it's Ubuntu because the machine works fine on a cable. I suspect either the wireless dongle (most likely) or the router.

No benefit other than it's a (small) poke in the eye to Bill Gates and co.

BTW I didn't say you were ignorant. The culture bit was on the "Bohemiam" tag. It's usually used to describe ermm, effete men with a penchent for interior decorating. Gay they may be but they're usually well read and quite cultured.

Edited by TooFastTim

Hey Tim,

My boy had an Optus dongle plugged into his old Ubuntu HP notebook ... says it worked OK.

Oddly enough he just got Ubuntu and Kbuntu in the post today.... So he was happy....until he realised he had no machine to run it on :lol:

Best of social harmony to you both :blush:

Neo