At last I have turned to the dark side

toofasttim

Just thinking about the process on this. Would suppose I would need to download the program, create a bootable disc, then hopefully there are wipe/format and install options?

Yes. You can install from the bootable disc. Intall options will let you keep windows.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. You can install from the bootable disc. Intall options will let you keep windows.

Oh, I see. So doya have dual boot capability with that? Will this stuff run windows based programs like Photoshop and such, or you gotta use their Apps? On edit,think I just read up the answer to that, as seems you gotta run Wine for the windows based dll conversions that may or may not work, depending.

And whar about hardware drivers for printers and such? :rolleyes: Is that where you are getting snagged with your wireless card being iffy?

Edited by copemech

Oh, I see. So doya have dual boot capability with that? Will this stuff run windows based programs like Photoshop and such, or you gotta use their Apps? On edit,think I just read up the answer to that, as seems you gotta run Wine for the windows based dll conversions that may or may not work, depending.

And whar about hardware drivers for printers and such? :rolleyes: Is that where you are getting snagged with your wireless card being iffy?

Dual boot off the CD? No. But you do have if you install it. Alternatively you can use Wine on Ubuntu for apps like photoshop.

No probs with drivers. The wirelss problem isn't an Ubuntu problem. I suspect something is running interference on the wirelsss link and not the Ubuntu driver.

Edited by TooFastTim

And what about hardware drivers for printers and such? :rolleyes: Is that where you are getting snagged with your wireless card being iffy?

Hi Cope,

It's best to appreciate that this is different operating system that's supplied for free.... It is not MS Windows and does not want to be, but when you get to know it it is has many advantages over MS Windows.

Hardware Drivers are very well supported but some will not be there.

If you were happy with what your MS Windows PC gave you 3 years back (in terms of general features) then after you have been through the learning curve (which can be steep) you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you get from Ubuntu. But if applications like Office 2010 are your thing then stay with MS Windows for now.

Best of balance.

Neo

Hi Cope,

It's best to appreciate that this is different operating system that's supplied for free.... It is not MS Windows and does not want to be, but when you get to know it it is has many advantages over MS Windows.

Hardware Drivers are very well supported but some will not be there.

If you were happy with what your MS Windows PC gave you 3 years back (in terms of general features) then after you have been through the learning curve (which can be steep) you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you get from Ubuntu. But if applications like Office 2010 are your thing then stay with MS Windows for now.

Best of balance.

Neo

I hear what you are saying. I have no need for advanced functions with a shed computer. Basic functions such as internet, email, photos, word, and occasional spreadsheet are all I may work on here,other than certain compats with my tech sites which rely heavily on the MS brousers, adobe and java.

I have little tolerance for learning curve here, as it either works or not. Simple is good. Which is one reason most the shop stuff and this old one at home are on XP! No glitter required!

I hear what you are saying. I have no need for advanced functions with a shed computer. Basic functions such as internet, email, photos, word, and occasional spreadsheet are all I may work on here,other than certain compats with my tech sites which rely heavily on the MS brousers, adobe and java.

I have little tolerance for learning curve here, as it either works or not. Simple is good. Which is one reason most the shop stuff and this old one at home are on XP! No glitter required!

All those applications come as standard but maybe the hardest part is getting to know all the daft names they use for these applications. And the choice of applications (in built and add-ons) that do similar things is almost endless. OpenOffice will "SaveAs" files in MS formats too.

Give it go Cope ... But take your time learning it. That way you'll avoid the frustration. :wall:

Best of balance.

Neo