Smoothing it our

chewy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO.. Keep it going ...isnt that what forums are for? Some of us get nearly as much enjoyment out of tinkering in the garage as riding and whats wrong with that?

Anyone interested in a new thread about improveing the pitiful steering lock on the 2011 ST..I have a few ideas for those of us too old to hop the thing, or has it already been done?

I wan't really being nasty Copey. Todays bikes are far better than most of us and it's usually easier to adjust our riding style to suit the bike than other way around. I suspect Chewy is looking for something a little more "old fashioned" than a Sherco and possibly should be considering twinshocks if what I suspect is true. Chewy?

Edited by TooFastTim

Neo I searched for data for starting point re jets/needle etc (for OKO 24mm) and just spent 10 minutes composing a nice PM to you asking if you have any?.

Your mailbox must be chocca bloc full, I'm going to try 1) carb as you suggest but prefer to tell the guy what I want. 2) Boyenson Reeds if that gives me little change 3) base gaskets. These three options are exactly in decending order of cost but I have come to conclude that PBHL carb is like several of the bits on my bike a cost compromise by Sherco and they are together cheaper than re "inventing" the exhaust system . Big thanks to all contributions. Just out of interest: I've been comparing our two bikes today, measured and compared every physical dimension including fork rake distances to footrests from bars rear wheel spindle, wheelbase etc etc last check was the bathroon scales which fully dispels any doubts folk have about weight distribution.. The Sherco is exactly the same as the Evo with rider on board, front and back (just the bike) within a kilo etc etc (All this is after/with my top yoke & shims which puts bar mounts 10mm fwd. and 10mm up). 2 degrees shallower rake angle (sherco 68 deg. Evo 66 deg) is only signifigant difference ..if I change that it will shorten wheelbase ( 1 degree reduces trail by c.25mm) , the only way to change this would involve a non reversable cut and shut of the frame in order to retain wheelbase etc so thats not going to happen to my bike although I did read somewhere that A Bert Cabastany was testing frame mods to balance the bike up. ( I take that back ..I could remake top and bottom yokes to steepen fork angle and keep wheelbase and get more lock ..drew it up this am)

I had a bike with a PBHL carb on The carb was junk. Really. The bike was just as you describe. So I fitted a Makuni and WOW was it smooth as. Go with the OKO and enjoy. Ralphy

I wan't really being nasty Copey. Todays bikes are far better than most of us and it's usually easier to adjust our riding style to suit the bike than other way around. I suspect Chewy is looking for something a little more "old fashioned" than a Sherco and possibly should be considering twinshocks if what I suspect is true. Chewy?

The missus keeps on about getting a twinshock project ..yes I repeat with Monotonous regularity that I'm well over the hill, 40 years past my best before date, etc ,etc, if I spent as much time riding it as I do playing with it many of the problems would go away etc etc.. but all bikes can be improved (improved being a subjective term) but if we don't talk out loud regarding our own individual issues,mods. and results we will all revert over time to riding old bikes. Regards offending Sherco owners club, I bought the Sherco because it is generally well made, of good desighn and it will perform well for me this summer in the climate topography where I'm going. We are planning on average 25 hours a week riding for 12 weeks so I want the bike reliable, comfortable and easy as possible to ride.

I had a bike with a PBHL carb on The carb was junk. Really. The bike was just as you describe. So I fitted a Makuni and WOW was it smooth as. Go with the OKO and enjoy. Ralphy

I think I'll have to get one to play with after all this. Nice to see you still trialling mate ..can you remember that time in the SSDT when you overtook me and Gary Marshman coming down off Corryarick pass the highest pass in British isles..getting to Roy Careys support truck having a nice cuppa tea ( we were all on fantics then) and Gary looked up in his typical somerset way and said "yer why's your back mudguard on the tyre" aghh panic I had to ride all way to parc Ferme with sus links hanging... 30 odd miles.. all of trotters burn ..now know as Muirsellich the Pems support guys threw the bits and spanners at me and we still got in on time. I think you'd wiped half a front fork leg of off your shiney new Fantic with an earlier road racing incident...are you still as crazy? or should I ask Sandra?

(Remembered name of that pass)

Edited by chewy

The missus keeps on about getting a twinshock project ..yes I repeat with Monotonous regularity that I'm well over the hill, 40 years past my best before date, etc ,etc, if I spent as much time riding it as I do playing with it many of the problems would go away etc etc.. but all bikes can be improved (improved being a subjective term) but if we don't talk out loud regarding our own individual issues,mods. and results we will all revert over time to riding old bikes. Regards offending Sherco owners club, I bought the Sherco because it is generally well made, of good desighn and it will perform well for me this summer in the climate topography where I'm going. We are planning on average 25 hours a week riding for 12 weeks so I want the bike reliable, comfortable and easy as possible to ride.

I didn't take your requirements as an insult to Shercos or any other modern bike Chewy. Thing is modern bikes are designed for modern sections. The motors are designed to be a small as possible which limits things like additional flywheels (which I suspect is what you need). Can they be improved? Well yes but only, IMO, marginally. Detail stuff. But to change the character of the bike from a modern piece of tackle designed for modern sections to something that would have been appropriate, say, 30 years ago I have my doubts.

As an analogy it would be like taking a formula 1 car and modifying it to be a convenient city runabout.

Edited by TooFastTim

I think I'll have to get one to play with after all this. Nice to see you still trialling mate ..can you remember that time in the SSDT when you overtook me and Gary Marshman coming down off Corryarick pass the highest pass in British isles..getting to Roy Careys support truck having a nice cuppa tea ( we were all on fantics then) and Gary looked up in his typical somerset way and said "yer why's your back mudguard on the tyre" aghh panic I had to ride all way to parc Ferme with sus links hanging... 30 odd miles.. all of trotters burn ..now know as Muirsellich the Pems support guys threw the bits and spanners at me and we still got in on time. I think you'd wiped half a front fork leg of off your shiney new Fantic with an earlier road racing incident...are you still as crazy? or should I ask Sandra?

(Remembered name of that pass)

Yeah mate i remember all of that and some.

I used to think that was a good bike. Good motor but basically POS it was. Model 243? I remember tuning up to the Pems in park ferme a bit (lot) late and saying bring me them parts..... and watching the visa card get drained - it needed a new shock on top of it all! - but i got it done and finished in time. I distantly remember the Pems boys could not help (rules) so we did our own wrenching. I thought it was fine and just got on with it. I took my bike into park and walked out chuffed at what i had just done. THEN!!!!! I saw a prominent rider had a team working on his bike in the park. Right miffed i was.

One year was the huge floods and bikes/riders late. We near enough swam some rivers.

Ha, the army worked with Roy for the fuel and it was great. Brilliant service. I turned up for a fuel stop and chocolate bar and had a peat fire under the the exhaust mid box gawd did we all have a little panic - I was parked next to the fuel tanks!.

I thought i biffed the shiny bike the year after? Down a drainage ditch beside the road at high speed. Feck i hurt my finger - broke it actually. Three years I did the SSDT and finished em all.

Now probably getting sedate Sandra and i have the BMW adventure bike for weekends and hols. Still doing a bit of trials.

I didn't take your requirements as an insult to Shercos or any other modern bike Chewy. Thing is modern bikes are designed for modern sections. The motors are designed to be a small as possible which limits things like additional flywheels (which I suspect is what you need). Can they be improved? Well yes but only, IMO, marginally. Detail stuff. But to change the character of the bike from a modern piece of tackle designed for modern sections to something that would have been appropriate, say, 30 years ago I have my doubts.

As an analogy it would be like taking a formula 1 car and modifying it to be a convenient city runabout.

Not only are the modern bikes light as compared to old stuff, they are typically a bit quick! Some more than others!

I really liked the '10 250 that I took for a spin, yet I can still see where one might get caught off by one.

A 2.9 has torque! And can be a bit more Rippy! And supply of the 2.5 here has basically made me need to deal with the 2.9's which have advantages and disadvantages.

I agree with Tim that a bit more on the flywheel would be a good thing for us old gits, yet with the Sherco this has not been a practicle option nor available. I am still exploring some possibilities on this, and with the help of others it may still yet be done.

As comparison, I think the Scorpa Yam would likely be the most gentile 250 I recall in a mod bike. I seem to recall they came out with the racing version with a bit lighter flywheel in maybe '03 or so which did rev out a bit quicker, but the old ones were smooth as glass, sweet bike. Possibly best of both worlds! And don't think I would ever prefer a Pinkey over one, no less a twinshock!

I agree with Tim that a bit more on the flywheel would be a good thing for us old gits, yet with the Sherco this has not been a practicle option nor available. I am still exploring some possibilities on this, and with the help of others it may still yet be done.

You know Copey, I went away and thought about that. It may not be as difficult as I originally thought.

Chewy, see if you can have a look at the Hebo aftermarket extra flywheel for the Gassers.

Edited by TooFastTim