Spoke nipples

bigfoot

Just got a new 2011 gasser want to replace the front wheel spoke nipples with stainless ones before they rust. Does anyone know where I can get nipples from? I've meant to do this on my past bikes but always left it too late. Not this time, hopfully.

Central Wheel Components need me to send a spoke and nipple down to see if they can match it and GGUK can't give me the size either. They do stainless spokes but not nipples. The nipples are nickel plated brass and are different from the original spokes. They only fit their stainless spokes so that's a bit wheel rebuild. All I want to do is change the nipple.

Anyone know the size I'm needing to ask for? If I can get this CWC or someone may have the nipple seperately.

Seems a lot of trouble just to keep your nipples perky. A spray of WD40 after every ride not good enough? The Beta's have nice nipples but I don't know if they fit GasGas spokes.

It's not a lot or trouble really if you keep the spokes and change one nipple at a time working round the wheel. I tow to a lot of trials and up my way they put a lot of salt on the roads in winter. I've tried the WD40 route in the past and its better than nothing but the OEM nipples just don't survive long in a nice condition. The GG spokes are metric and no one seems to stock metric spokes in the UK. I'd be interested in the Beta ones if the would fit and had a better plating on them. i think I can get some metric ones if I could only work out he size.

It's not a lot or trouble really if you keep the spokes and change one nipple at a time working round the wheel. I tow to a lot of trials and up my way they put a lot of salt on the roads in winter. I've tried the WD40 route in the past and its better than nothing but the OEM nipples just don't survive long in a nice condition. The GG spokes are metric and no one seems to stock metric spokes in the UK. I'd be interested in the Beta ones if the would fit and had a better plating on them. i think I can get some metric ones if I could only work out he size.

Sorry no help here. Know what you mean though. In the past I have settled for packing the nipple threads with the silecone grease on initial prep, so down the line hopefully they are not rusted up and can be changed individually later! It is a pretty good protectant on the outside plating as well although attract dust. :rolleyes:

Light application on inside of rims seems to keep down corrosion from water entry as well. Dow Corning DC111 compound is the fav. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech