Re packing...

cabby

Oh dear, conflicting opinions, such is internet forums I guess.

Copey, when you say totally impracticable to re pack, what is the alternative then ? Buy a new silencer ??

Basically, YES! Yet I still have doubts yours is that bad just because it got hot.

The bad ones I have heard were on really older bikes, and things sound like an old '70's Yam MX'er with the mini silencer on it.

Even though the process of re- packing HAS been done, it was primarily by a few hardcore folk that just took it as an experiment.

You gotta have a good TIG welder.

Then you gotta BE a good TIG welder to weld that thin ali(or pay one, not cheap). And even though I happen to have the stuff to do it, I do not think I would do it on my own as it is too much work, not to mention it would probably come out looking like a bull's ass sewn up with a loggers chain.

I do have an old muff for welding practice, if I ever do it, yet it is too labor intensive for even that, really.

And lastly, one should not replace them unless neccessary, cause you will likely bash the new one on the rocks if you do! Murphey's law! :rolleyes:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still think it would be ok. Just run it. Ones that are totally blown out will have a very raspy exhaust note.

They are totally impracticle to re-pack. Not reccomendable.

There isn't just a difference in exhaust note but also less bottom end power,it's quite noticeable when compared back to back

First of all - sorry for showing my age here!!!

But I remember back in the early 80's when blasting around on an RD250LC.

2 stroke oil wasn't what it was today and removing exhausts to de-coke them was an annual event in the search of trying to maintain the magic ton.

It was a case of removing the pipes - blanking off one end and filling the pipe with some compound bought from a plumbers merchant - sad thing being I have no idea what the chemical was called!!!!!

I can also remember it burned if it touched the skin and when poured down a drain afterwards - all sorts of 2 stroke gunge would go with it.

Maybe someone with a better memory has tried similar and remembers what the stuff is called.

I think that's the same caustic crystals (drain cleaner) that you can get down at the supermarkets now days.... very corrosive on ally though...and that's why it went out of fashion :chairfall:

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Maybe someone with a better memory has tried similar and remembers what the stuff is called.

Caustic Soda? I have heard of this being used before, I am thinking of giving it a shot on my 01 290 exhaust within the next month, although when welding up the crack in my exhaust the other day we did have a few flames so I am sure abit of the gunk has been burnt out already!

Adam

Be warned the Caustic Soda will totally dissolve the aluminium.

Forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me Chris, I have used caustic soda for stripping anodizing off aluminium before!

Maybe I will look into some other form of de-greasing.

Adam

Just left free standing - reckon the puddle at end of play tonight is the size of a couple cd's.

That is good that it is flowing on it's own. Seems good oils do that, with less hard carbon build up and residue. But this is also why one needs to give um stick at times to blow that stuff out before accumulating too much. :thumbup: