TXT280 any good?

zookeeper

I`m still looking for my first trials bike and seen a txt 280 2005 for sale thats located not far from me,i`v had a gasser ec 300 before and loved it..I dont know much about the gasser trials bikes, and have been told of some reliability issues on certain models..This txt i`v seen looks nice but welcome any advice..THANKS! :D

I have a 2008 TXT 250 almost the same bike and it is a great bike. Look for the normal things wheel bearings, shock linkage bearings, etc... Then if you get it do a full fluid change forks, coolant, trans, new spark plug. Then ride the hell out of it.

I`m still looking for my first trials bike and seen a txt 280 2005 for sale thats located not far from me,i`v had a gasser ec 300 before and loved it..I dont know much about the gasser trials bikes, and have been told of some reliability issues on certain models..This txt i`v seen looks nice but welcome any advice..THANKS! :D

The TXT is a great bike - light, well balanced, reliable and well priced.

However, as a first trials bike I'd say the 280 is the wrong way to go.

You should IMO look ideally at a 250cc or a 300cc

The 250cc is very soft and linear in its power delivery but has a nice amount of torque, so your weight dependant,

should be perfect and suits 90% of average club riders

The 300cc is again nice and soft, with greater torque and more fire as you climb the revs and becomes a real flyer if you give it some. But again there are many average club riders who prefer the 300 over a 250 due to the low down torque and progressive feel to the engine

The 280 is (in my experience) a very different beast, much more fiery, revvy and snappy off the bottom with less torque

and again a proper flyer if you give it the beans. I think that this is also the smallest seller in terms of units sold in the UK but GG UK could confirm or deny this.

For a first bike I'd say the 280 is the last of the Gas Gas range to get although there will be people on here who love and swear by the 280 as a novice bike.

As always, it's down to the rider. see if you can ride all 3 (ideally nicely set up so you can gauge them accurately) engines.

Reliability wise, it's the same with anything - If its been well looked after you'll be fine.

GG did have some issues but these were pretty much all ironed out by 2005 bikes. For some reason this is still bought up by riders of other bikes who have either had an experience or heard of an experience.

IMO they are now (2010/2011 bikes) as well built as anything you'll find out there.

Although you will still find Friday afternoon build bikes out there :angry:

If you take 10 minutes after cleaning to check tightness etc on everything and keep up to date on your maintenance you'll be fine.

I'd take my time, try them all and not rush to by the bike thats located nearerst to me.But that's me, I'd rather travel 200 miles and get a good one than travel 20 miles for a dog

Good Luck

The TXT is a great bike - light, well balanced, reliable and well priced.

However, as a first trials bike I'd say the 280 is the wrong way to go.

You should IMO look ideally at a 250cc or a 300cc

The 250cc is very soft and linear in its power delivery but has a nice amount of torque, so your weight dependant,

should be perfect and suits 90% of average club riders

The 300cc is again nice and soft, with greater torque and more fire as you climb the revs and becomes a real flyer if you give it some. But again there are many average club riders who prefer the 300 over a 250 due to the low down torque and progressive feel to the engine

The 280 is (in my experience) a very different beast, much more fiery, revvy and snappy off the bottom with less torque

and again a proper flyer if you give it the beans. I think that this is also the smallest seller in terms of units sold in the UK but GG UK could confirm or deny this.

For a first bike I'd say the 280 is the last of the Gas Gas range to get although there will be people on here who love and swear by the 280 as a novice bike.

As always, it's down to the rider. see if you can ride all 3 (ideally nicely set up so you can gauge them accurately) engines.

Reliability wise, it's the same with anything - If its been well looked after you'll be fine.

GG did have some issues but these were pretty much all ironed out by 2005 bikes. For some reason this is still bought up by riders of other bikes who have either had an experience or heard of an experience.

IMO they are now (2010/2011 bikes) as well built as anything you'll find out there.

Although you will still find Friday afternoon build bikes out there :angry:

If you take 10 minutes after cleaning to check tightness etc on everything and keep up to date on your maintenance you'll be fine.

I'd take my time, try them all and not rush to by the bike thats located nearerst to me.But that's me, I'd rather travel 200 miles and get a good one than travel 20 miles for a dog

Good Luck

Well put.

"Although you will still find Friday afternoon build bikes out there " Or worse yet, Monday morning......:)

Jon

now then

i had a 270 99 and had that as first bike, then went to a 250 06, (which is for sale) and theres no loss in power, ive had a go on johnathon richardson old 290, tweaked up to holy hell, and i aint a good rider and 250 is plenty of power for anything, and i like going up steep hills its one thing i think i can do!