Footpeg brackets and suspension lift kits

bikepilot

I would like to replace my footpegs and peg brackets as my stock pegs feel a bit narrow and are worn such that they droop a bit (I think this is, in part, due to the brackets). I saw the Raptor Ti brackets and they look very nice, but I am not sure I want to part with $200 for them. OEM brackets are $82 (for both), but seem less than beautifully crafted. Any options that are better than oem but less costly than the raptors?

For pegs, does anyone make a rockered peg like the White Brothers and Sunline Arch MX pegs (center spikes are raised higher than the front/rear which, I find, makes moving fore-aft on the bike easier, particularly when operating the rear brake) for trials bikes? I haven't tried swapping them out, but from memory my Cota's peg mounts seem roughly the same dimensions as most honda MX bikes so ... what about a set of MX pegs (about 1/3rd the cost of trials-specific pegs)? (for example, these http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=93&navTitle=Dirt+Bike+Parts&webCatId=19&prodFamilyId=25961 or the aforementioned WB pegs)

Also, I'm curious about the rear suspension "lift kits" like in the picture below. They are inexpensive and I'm thinking about trying a pair just to see. Any functional difference between the Lewisport brand, Vemar and the others?

lport_liftkit_a.jpg

Two other items I intend to order are fork protectors and a a vemar brake lever as I find the stock brake pedal is a bit far from the peg for my liking. Any reason not to or advice in this regard?

By way of background I'm completely new to trials, but have been riding most every other form of 2-wheeled device for many years. My trials bike is an '01 Cota 315R that is, except for a pair of renthals, all standard.

Thanks very much!

Edited by BikePilot

Hi there.

I can't speak for the replacement footpegs but I also had slightly droopy pegs on my 315r so I pulled them off and ran a weld bead on the worn part of the page where it meets the bracket, then grinded it down on a slight angle so that when I put them back on the bike they were a closer fit and pointed slightly upwards. Another thing I noticed with the stock pegs were that the pin holes were ovaled which also allowed a little droop, for this I simply drilled out the holes to make them round again and then used an oversized bolt to fit perfectly in the new hole (stainless steel). I, like you, just could not justify $200 for a new set of Ti or aluminum pegs.

For the Lewissport lift kit. I ordered one myself and it was the best part I ever bought, it completely livened up the back end as well as giving me extra lift, personally I find the setup of my bike perfectly suited to my riding style - the only other thing I did was to move the front forks down through the trees a little so that I just have about 5 mm of fork leg protrudinig through the top yolk. Mandy and Adrian at Lewissport are excellent to deal with and very friendly.

Great to hear about the lewisport linkage. The rear end of the bike does feel quite calm and uninterested in leaving the ground (not that I really know what a trials bike should feel like). I will order up the linkage plates for sure now and experiment with fork height.

I'm without a welder at the moment, but have actually done that on a KX250 years ago - worked a treat.

I ride regular and stick with std Mont footrests and hangers. I weld a little fillet into the hangers to stop them bending in too easily (especially on 4rt). I regularily add a blob of weld on footrest to keep them at about 15 degrees above horizontal makes a big difference. Mont suspension is spot on. Don't mess. If you can't hop the back end as std then your ability probably dictates that you would better off concentrating on benefiting from the supple suspension and grip available as std (at least in UK). I believe hopping the back in the drive or car park has no resemblance of what you need in the section.

Dropping forks does help though.

Save your money and have some coaching or spend it on practicing.

I like the linkage kit on my 315R. Best to rebuild your linkage while you have the plates off. I highly recommend these pegs:

http://www.trialcast.co.uk/product.php?id_product=16

They're light, strong, well made, and less than $100.00, incl. shipping to the US. They're also thinner: they have the same ground clearance as the stockers, but the foot plane is noticeably lower.

I have a Vee-Mar brake pedal sitting in my tool box, new. I put it on but decided I liked my shortened stock lever more. The trick is to remove about an inch of the lever shaft and reweld so it tucks in right behind the clutch basket, right where the Vee-Mar one goes. Then again, it's probably easier to buy the Vee-Mar...

Sam

I ride regular and stick with std Mont footrests and hangers. I weld a little fillet into the hangers to stop them bending in too easily (especially on 4rt). I regularily add a blob of weld on footrest to keep them at about 15 degrees above horizontal makes a big difference. Mont suspension is spot on. Don't mess. If you can't hop the back end as std then your ability probably dictates that you would better off concentrating on benefiting from the supple suspension and grip available as std (at least in UK). I believe hopping the back in the drive or car park has no resemblance of what you need in the section.

Dropping forks does help though.

Save your money and have some coaching or spend it on practicing.

Good advise

Hi, I am using the Jitsie footpeg brackets. They are super strong, and move the pegs back a bit. A bit cheaper than the Raptors also. I also run the V-mar brake pedal. It's a bit shorter so it works well the pegs further back. I run the Lewisport linkage plates. The geometry is the same as the V-mar ones, but since they are made of stainless steel they hold up well. I have seen the alloy V-mar ones get the holes egg shaped after much much use. I found that my bike steering better with them aftermarket linkage plates.

Thanks very much. I think I'm going to order up the vmar pedal, lewisport brackets, trialscast pegs and still undecided on the brackets. Will also rebuild the linkage while I'm in there - it has a bit of slop to it. I like the idea of shortening a stock brake lever, but don't have a tig handy so probably easier to just get the vmar one for now.

Any special tips on replacement clutch and brake levers? My '01 looks to have an AJP clutch master and a Gremica brake master (but an AJP caliper). I was thinking about the folding levers from ARC or Zeta.

http://www.lewisportusa.com/parts_bars_levers.htm

I have the same AJP/Grimeca setup on my early Mont and was also looking for some new levers. I prefer the short type and Lewissport had some gas gas enduro levers on for $15 the pair. I was told that they would not fit but ordered them anyway as I was willing to risk $15 and was sure I could make them fit. Anyway, with very little modification and the use of slightly longer stop adjusters they pretty much bolted straight on, so a definite bargain and a new set of levers to boot!

Just to echo what JimmyL has said, I've had a 315 before and tried the 'lift-plates' on the rear shock and it made the bike ride in a 'stoop forward' attitude...'orrible,big disadvantage .

Raising the ride height on a Montesa trials bike takes away that fab 'well-planted' feeling.

I would imagine the pitch-forward ride would be worse on a 4RT as it has a heavy front end to begin with.

The only advantage was when you were compressing the back end and popping the clutch to go up a step ...not something I do much of anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've put a linkage kit on mine, while I had it all in bits I put one of the service free dog bones

on plus a later showa shock off a 4rt, the back end is nice and plush now..

was thinking about footrest hangers but I heard the Raptor and Jitsie (for a 4rt) ones wont fit a 315

as the 315 frame is thicker, so does this mean the only option for 315s are the stock hangers ?

ta

B

When we were running 4RtS (way back in 05) I made up some sus links .really worth doing only recolection re the std. footrest hangers was that they seemed to be from a different bike.. poor design, made of chewing gum.The hing I recall was that you may have to gring a radius on the heel of your aftermarket footpeg as the std brkt. is a bent U shape with big internal radii. Piccie of one on my website. Also 315 brackets are different won't fit 4rt..I gave my last pair away recently

Edited by chewy