Spares Availability - Which Bike?

fok

This is my first post so hello and apologies if this is a much repeated question. I've done some searching on the forum but thought I'd ask directly:

I would like opinions please as to what would be the best 70's twinshock bike to run from a spares availability point of view.

I'm guessing it'd be TY 175 / 250 but I'd consider Italian or Spanish too if I can get bits.

For peace of mind I would like to know that I can get most engine parts and if not able to get O/E, at least find a cross reference for bearings and other cycle parts.

I owned a few twinshocks in the 80's and having just come back to trials I can't resist the look / nostalgia of the twinshock era bikes.

I have a very tidy Beamish 250 but am not sure that this is an ideal regular clubman's bike as far as parts are concerned.....I'm happy to keep that as a polished toy and buy another bike for regular use.

Advice gratefully received.

Cheers

having had something of most brands in the last few years i'd say that if you stick to the most popular models and seek the advice of the major suppliers before buying that most stuff is getable either new reproduction or used. i'd think that the ty stuff is no 1 for availability but people ar doing alsorts of stuff with bultacos fantics so the stuff has to be out there.. My current fantic 200 has nt been a problem thus far it just started litrally first kick having not been touched since the trial 5 months ago..

Oh well, it's peeing down outside, I've finished my tax return so what to do next. I know, prattle on about 70s bikes in answer to your question.

A late 250 Bultaco, say model 190 onwards, is a good bet. Cheaper to buy than the 325 as everyone seems to want the bigger version, but the 250 is a perfectly capable bike. Very good spares availablilty, new or used and one of the easiest bikes to work on, both chassis and engine. Just watch out for the condition of the hubs as if the chrome has peeled badly it's about

Thanks for the replies........particularly the war and peace response from Woody, very interesting.

I used to have a Fantic 240 and would like another but spares availablity makes me wary.......

Personally I would go for a ty175, there are lots of original parts still available and loads

of after market stuff, anything you can't buy new you can pick up on fleabay as there's always

someone selling second hand bits. Not only that with a few sensible mods they make a very

competetive twinshock and unless your a Billy Bunter have more than enough power to cope.

Personally I would go for a ty175, there are lots of original parts still available and loads

of after market stuff, anything you can't buy new you can pick up on fleabay as there's always

someone selling second hand bits. Not only that with a few sensible mods they make a very

competetive twinshock and unless your a Billy Bunter have more than enough power to cope.

Billy Bunter? I thought I was the only one who could remember him.

Come on you lot, part of the fun is huning down the rear swinging arm bush or having it made, the next time you look at a hill climb knowing if you flip the bike the rear mud guard is not able to be replaced off the shelf. The pre 65 boy have been down this road and come out laughing.

look out side the box and have the fun on sunday night.

If I would be in your situation I would opt which suits best my riding style and which I know best in technical matter.

If I ask the Fantic guys here in Germany they all state that there is no big problem getting parts, likewise Yamahe, Montesa, Bultaco and even OSSA last but not least even SWM or early Betas.

As long as you don't seriously want to ride a Merlin or a Trans Ama the part situation is not helpless if part of the game is a little research here and there.

Good luck in the election.