Would you still join a club each year?

pete_scorpa3

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a club if the licence form didn't require it?

• Yes, I would join a club anyway.
    • No, I would save a few pounds each year.

The ACU are looking into making licence (registration) applications easier and putting them online. :thumbup:

The one real stumbling block is how club membership secretaries sign the form prior to submitting it to the ACU.

One option is to 'do-away' with this need and simply ask riders which club they have joined.

We only charge

Are the ACU saying this way you don't need to join a club or are they saying you still need to join a club but you don't need to do the yearly thing of collecting club stamps and signatures to get a licence.

I would of thought the club could still claim membership fees in order for one to ride there trials etc etc.

Are the ACU saying this way you don't need to join a club or are they saying you still need to join a club but you don't need to do the yearly thing of collecting club stamps and signatures to get a licence.

I would of thought the club could still claim membership fees in order for one to ride there trials etc etc.

so how would you collect membership fees when the trial is a centre trial,as lots of riders will just say im a member of another club etc etc I am a membership secretary for my club and dont understand why anyone would find getting the ACU licence difficult, you fill in the form which is available on most clubs websites or the ACU'S site, send/give it to the secretary of your chosen club with the membership monies, simplles really isnt it IF ITS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT

Edited by PHB

so how would you collect membership fees when the trial is a centre trial,as lots of riders will just say im a member of another club etc etc I

You don't issue Club membership cards then?we are just talking about the once a year one off payment of

This old chestnut again and both discussions about club and licences can be talked about forever.

There are some valid points about going to a centre trial and putting any club on the entry form and at that same trial did you have to show your ACU Licence, I very much doubt it.

I sometimes wonder how many people actually have a licence when competing, there will be people saying "ah well they won't be covered for accidental injury" I dont think people care.

So is it down to the volunteer secretary to check licences and those that haven't cough up the 3 quid daily ACU Licence fee and then fill out extra forms to send in the money to Rugby maybe, just maybe if collected that goes into club funds? Would you blame them?

I used to show my licence once a year at the SSDT haven't been asked since 2007.

So no real solution unless you scrap the daily licence fee and each club check the riders licence when entering and that will not happen, I could also see entries plummeting and more people just going out with a few mates to ride.

So if you want it FREE ride Centre trials make up a club and number, don't hurt yourself and you will be fine.

Disclaimer: I have both licence and membership of 2 clubs.

at the moment i have an acu trials registration card, i also have club membership cards for 4 clubs ( annual subs between 5 and 15 pounds) there is absolutely no need to link the two i'll join which ever clubs put on decent trials and or whose aims i support. the nessecity as john pointed out for the club secretary to sign each form is a throw back to the days of black and white telly and pathe news.

for a beginner it must certainly provide a barrier.. how many times has the question ''what do i need for my first trial?'' been raised on these very pages. make it easy for clubs secretarys then all you have to di is flash your photo registration card and club membership when signing on and bingo..

It's a bit of a Hazy memory for me but I seem to recall that our Centre is made up of clubs and voting "rights" on Centre matters are based upon club membership. This is another reason for keeping the clubs in this particular loop. Surely it wouldn't be difficult for the ACU to "trade off" printing a particular ACU card holders club & Centre on the card after the club has validated his/her membership leaving it up to the clubs to choose how to raise membership and subscriptions. In brief there are still a few people left at club level who are prepared to work for nothing more than the glory of thier particular club and of course the sport (because it won't work at all without them) so why doesn't the ACU offer these people a benifit (less work ?) for changing the way they work.