Moon race fans

toofasttim

Well, aside from the flex and stuff, would you not think that the thrust force is physically transmitted to the structure directly through the nozzles and gimbals?

The force MUST be transmitted through those components. The gimbal actuators will only transmit a fraction of the vertical force.

Reminds me of the old story. If a fly is flying in an aeroplane that is itself flying does the weight of the aeroplane include the weight of the fly?

(Yes, the force that keeps the fly aloft is applied to the floor of the aeroplane adding to the weight. The key here is the word weight)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Wayne I have ben to KSC twice, as a rug rat and then as an adult (well not really an adult but at least 30 years old). I loved it both times but the Mrs got bored as did the teenager last time I went.

So next year for a TC summer holiday we'll all go to the states apend as long as we want at KSC then go to Copeys ! TC Bash on the Ben could go international , all wee need is a US WTC round.

MINT !

If the bell nozzles couldn't take the weight of the launch vehicle then how can they be stood on end in the Rocket Garden?

I admit they are unfuelled?

Perhaps not the nozzles but where they mate with the rocket.

Hey Wayne I have ben to KSC twice, as a rug rat and then as an adult (well not really an adult but at least 30 years old). I loved it both times but the Mrs got bored as did the teenager last time I went.

So next year for a TC summer holiday we'll all go to the states apend as long as we want at KSC then go to Copeys ! TC Bash on the Ben could go international , all wee need is a US WTC round.

MINT !

Bliss !

I bet I still would five a hillclimb in Florida :icon_salut: It's flatter than Holland.

Aye, you guys missed the free Margs at the last WTC here. Best I figure, FL is the worlds largest sandbar!

I cannot recall the year I was at KSC, I get it a bit confused with Houston, but I think it was then, they still had the Saturn V on its side in the rocket garden,and were talking about the refurb and cleanup to put it in a new shed, as it was getting a bit delapidated.

I would still suggest first part of April for the aviation Geeks, as Sun-N-Fun fly in is going on with an airshow every day of the week and more planes, new and old than you can finger. Kermit Weeks museum of flight, Orlando, then the East coast wihh Kennedy. One could spend well over a week, but all within a few hours drive.

The drive back West is boring, with the museum at Pennsacola, and the Battleship, Sub, and Aviation museum in Mobile Al. making a bad drive better.

If you make it to Nwe Orleans, just get on a plane there, as your hangover will not allow you to drive further!!!! :thumbup:

If the bell nozzles couldn't take the weight of the launch vehicle then how can they be stood on end in the Rocket Garden?

Perhaps the nozzles are hiding columns inside them which support the weight of the unfuelled vehicle?

I cannot recall the year I was at KSC, I get it a bit confused with Houston, but I think it was then, they still had the Saturn V on its side in the rocket garden,and were talking about the refurb and cleanup to put it in a new shed, as it was getting a bit delapidated.

The Saturn 5 was inside a rather large shed.

Caution do not stand near maked flame.

post-75-0-21772700-1306129919.jpg

post-75-0-19657800-1306129990.jpg

I think I can answer my own question about the Saturn V taking it's own weight standing up :dunce:

I remember asking about the sequence for blowing the hold down arms and umbilical release.... and I was told that the Saturn V is actually 'riveted' to the launch platform by 4 large 'soft-iron ' bolts.

The heads of those rivets get extruded as the rocket lifts (something to do with damping down the initial exhaust thrust resonance?? :blink: )

So it must take it's own weight ...and then some?