US World Round? Never Again?

the observer

I have heard a few rumors that the FIM is eager for the US to host another WR.

I sure hope the club or group who puts their foot in this Sinkhole is clear with the FIM, NATC and AMA

as to the true costs of this venture. Let the above mentioned organizations guarantee a minimum predetermined

profit for the people who really do the work.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its about time the fim had a reality check and got these rounds sorted, its either a world championship or not.

having rounds in Aus and japan and hopefully usa is great and necessary, but how are the riders without factory support supposed to afford it?

Apparenty the FIM figured that "afford it" problem, for "their" country's riders, make the organization that puts on the event pay for the rooms? Jesus Chrysler, who thought of that one?

Isn't that what the "sponsor" for the riders/teams are for?

I wonder, does formula 1 racetracks & promoters have to pay for Ferrari's drivers lodging (ok whatever team)?

Apparenty the FIM figured that "afford it" problem, for "their" country's riders, make the organization that puts on the event pay for the rooms? Jesus Chrysler, who thought of that one?

Isn't that what the "sponsor" for the riders/teams are for?

I wonder, does formula 1 racetracks & promoters have to pay for Ferrari's drivers lodging (ok whatever team)?

In case you didn't know it there are not many trials riders who belong to teams with $100 miillion budgets.

Bigger than the problem of if the USA has a round or not is the situation where only 10 riders compete in the WTC and its dwindling.

Clearly the crossover is expensive or else there would be Americans and australians competing in the wtc more often.

the fact that it costs to put up fim officials and entourage is holding back offers of someone willing to stage a USA wtc.

But there would be very few (if any) in a few years time who are willing or in these recession times able to afford to go around the world to finish tenth 11th and so on.

The fim is based in switzerland, so who are their riders?

Clearly the crossover is expensive or else there would be Americans and australians competing in the wtc more often.

I'm not sure that's a fair analogy Nige. The biggest problem with being in outlying countries is getting sufficient experience to compete with the top guys. A region or country produces a good rider who sets the barre, the up and comings flock to pit their skills against this new tyro. This, in turn, results in the barre being raised even higher. This is why regions like Yorkshire and more specifically, Silsden, end up being Meccas. Internationally at the moment its Spain. The wheel will turn and that international centre will return to the UK.

This is why Bernie Schrieber and Pat Smages achievements are so remarkable. The reached that standard without having to travel to the current Mecca.

If you're not on that pace is it worth getting on a plane and going half way across the world to get your a*** kicked from here to berakfast time?

P.S. Don't forget that Bernie did it without the benefit of video tapes, DVD and t'interweb thingy. He had no idea of the standard in Europe when he arrived.

Edited by TooFastTim

In case you didn't know it there are not many trials riders who belong to teams with $100 miillion budgets.

Bigger than the problem of if the USA has a round or not is the situation where only 10 riders compete in the WTC and its dwindling.

the fact that it costs to put up fim officials and entourage is holding back offers of someone willing to stage a USA wtc.

But there would be very few (if any) in a few years time who are willing or in these recession times able to afford to go around the world to finish tenth 11th and so on.

The fim is based in switzerland, so who are their riders?

Nigel, I am not sure you understand completely, it is not just paying hotel costs for FIM officials, the "Solidarity Rule" requires the US organizer to pay hotel costs for ALL riders coming from another continent. Even for the Raga , Lampkin and Bou who all have these costs covered by their respective teams.

While i can understand everyones enthusiasm to see the best in the world conquer a seemingly impossible section at their home country. It would seem that the countrys that have partisipants in the WTC would have more concern with hosting an event. What seems more logical to me would be to host the TDN here in the U.S.A. we have partisipants in the TDN. And if we really wanted to make it easy on ourselfs we should be focused on getting our pro class riders a pro purse. They certainly deserve it.

While i can understand everyones enthusiasm to see the best in the world conquer a seemingly impossible section at their home country. It would seem that the countrys that have partisipants in the WTC would have more concern with hosting an event. What seems more logical to me would be to host the TDN here in the U.S.A. we have partisipants in the TDN. And if we really wanted to make it easy on ourselfs we should be focused on getting our pro class riders a pro purse. They certainly deserve it.

TdN in the US would never work. The logistics and costs are prohibitive. Most of the countries/teams have small budgets and would not be able to make the trip, let alone ship their bikes/gear over and back. Tools, spares, gas cans, bike stands, EZ Ups.... Plus where would they borrow bikes? From US Importers? In September when the new models have not yet arrived and inventories are low? Each team would need a minimum of 8-10 bikes times 25 teams that is over 200 bikes.

I think a US World Round benefits us all more. We get to enjoy watching the best and our young riders can be inspired by and ride against the best, if they are up to it. A trip to the TTC is a lot easier than a trip to Europe.

Edited by for artie

Nigel, I am not sure you understand completely, it is not just paying hotel costs for FIM officials, the "Solidarity Rule" requires the US organizer to pay hotel costs for ALL riders coming from another continent. Even for the Raga , Lampkin and Bou who all have these costs covered by their respective teams.

I'm not sure you understand that for japan gueatemala (sp) and probably Aus the total number of riders is only going to be 25/30, even with minders thats 60 rooms, that is not prohibitive surely. After all whilst bou raga and maybe 4/5 others will be paid to go the remaing riders in all classes will pay to go to the states to put on a show where you can sell tickets.

Don't get me started on who should pay for the fim guys!

IN 92 the TDN WAS in the USA, Watkins Glen NY. They also hosted the last world round of that year too, on the same weekend! It seemed to work well. I know alot has changed since then as far as requirements from the FIM, but the event DID work!

That was then Steve, as I recall only 11 teams competed in NY that year and 2 of those were USA and Canada. Today a TdN is 20 to 25 teams. Costs and logistics would eliminate most of the amatuer countries and they are the grass roots of the sport.

I'm not sure you understand that for japan gueatemala (sp) and probably Aus the total number of riders is only going to be 25/30, even with minders thats 60 rooms, that is not prohibitive surely. After all whilst bou raga and maybe 4/5 others will be paid to go the remaing riders in all classes will pay to go to the states to put on a show where you can sell tickets.

Don't get me started on who should pay for the fim guys!

The hotel bill for the last US WR 2008 the TTC owner/organizer had to pay was repotedly $15,000.00 + USD.