Mod or Change?

drake

I'm fairly new to trials (BOUT 4 MONTHS) and have a 2003 Sherco 290. I get on with this bike pretty well. I didn't get a newer bike to start in case the sport wasn't for me. My dilema now is, should I get a newer bike (probably the same) or stick with what I have and update it. Been thinking about an 2008 ish bike.

Question is at my skill level will i just be spending money for the sake of it or I will see real benefits from a newer bike?

If I keep the 2003 what sensible mods can i do to it?

All thoughts and opinions greately appreciated

Hi Drake

I have been riding trials for a similar time as yourself, previously having ridden Enduro's until the knees clapped out.

I came to a similar conclusion with my Enduro bike and my trials bike.....

----Is it working correctly,, jetting, suspension setup, brakes, clutch, tyres etc.... If not, sort those things out.

----Once it is working correctly, look honestly at your performance and understand how much the bike is the limiting factor.

I can only speak for myself and say i've got a long way to go before the bike is the limiting factor. I know this because:-

----other riders are way ahead in results on much older (rattier) bikes (even 20 years older)

----I am aware that there's lots i'm not yet capable of.

----I want to stop dropping it too often before i make a bigger investment.

However, some riders like to have the latest thing (nothing wrong with that), some are more/less capable with complicated maintenance, some are skilled enough that the bike is a limiting factor.

Personally, I've got the bike A1 over the last months and will put a years trials under my belt. Then i might ask myself if i warrant a newer bike and if i dont.....i'll keep it.

Regards

Dom

I can only speak for myself and say i've got a long way to go before the bike is the limiting factor. I know this because:-

----other riders are way ahead in results on much older (rattier) bikes (even 20 years older)

----I am aware that there's lots i'm not yet capable of.

----I want to stop dropping it too often before i make a bigger investment.

However, some riders like to have the latest thing (nothing wrong with that), some are more/less capable with complicated maintenance, some are skilled enough that the bike is a limiting factor.

Thats good advice there :thumbup:

From watching you ride 'Drake'.. there's not much wrong with your bike, she's abit heavy if anything mate - I think you'd benifit more from something a little lighter, maybe a 200 or 250 B) .. if that means going newer then do it.

BTW what has Paul bought?

Edited by tricks

I'm fairly new to trials (BOUT 4 MONTHS) and have a 2003 Sherco 290. I get on with this bike pretty well. I didn't get a newer bike to start in case the sport wasn't for me. My dilema now is, should I get a newer bike (probably the same) or stick with what I have and update it. Been thinking about an 2008 ish bike.

Question is at my skill level will i just be spending money for the sake of it or I will see real benefits from a newer bike?

If I keep the 2003 what sensible mods can i do to it?

All thoughts and opinions greately appreciated

There is really nothing wrong with a bike of that vintage if well kept. And seldome anything a few quid won't fix. Still very competitive at any level.

My '03 290 was wicked quick, and I had a bit of work taming it, but was a good bike. And I could easily ride one today. The newer ones of say the '08 vintage are a bit smoother, have a bit of better geometry and forks and quicker rear suspension, but not to discount the older bike.

If I had one still and loved it, I would probably update the rear suspension with an Ohlins shocker and I think the '04 delta link was different. Be sure the rest if the linkage and steering bearngs are perfect along with all the rest of it and you are set.

If the bike is just too far gone, it ain't worth the time and money, as you will spend as much putting a pig's ass into a silk purse! :thumbup:

There is really nothing wrong with a bike of that vintage if well kept. And seldome anything a few quid won't fix. Still very competitive at any level.

My '03 290 was wicked quick, and I had a bit of work taming it, but was a good bike. And I could easily ride one today. The newer ones of say the '08 vintage are a bit smoother, have a bit of better geometry and forks and quicker rear suspension, but not to discount the older bike.

If I had one still and loved it, I would probably update the rear suspension with an Ohlins shocker and I think the '04 delta link was different. Be sure the rest if the linkage and steering bearngs are perfect along with all the rest of it and you are set.

If the bike is just too far gone, it ain't worth the time and money, as you will spend as much putting a pig's ass into a silk purse! :thumbup:

Is everything perfect with the bike?

for example if the throttle has too much free play then this will affect your performance more than whether the bike is an 03 or 08. Absolutely every aspect of the bike needs to be properly adjusted and working well for you to be the limiting factor.

personally I would adjust lubricate renew as needed and concentrate on spending money on riding more for a year or so then up grade. A properly set up 03 will be better than a slack 08, the 03 definately has more lock which might be better for you anyway?

Is everything perfect with the bike?

for example if the throttle has too much free play then this will affect your performance more than whether the bike is an 03 or 08. Absolutely every aspect of the bike needs to be properly adjusted and working well for you to be the limiting factor.

personally I would adjust lubricate renew as needed and concentrate on spending money on riding more for a year or so then up grade. A properly set up 03 will be better than a slack 08, the 03 definately has more lock which might be better for you anyway?

looks like i'm keeping the bike then :icon_salut:

It has no issuues and starts first kick every time. I find it a lot smoother than my mates Scorpa not sure why but his is snappier. Only thing it needs is a new reaar mudguard and graphix (slight accident with a tree when I first had it) The only thing i realy dislike about it is the cheap looking blue fork caps. As for mods i would like to convert to fatbars, though I haven't looked in to this yet and possibly some new footpegs. Ohlins shock sounds nice, but i'm guessing they are quite pricey.

What about the front forks. Can they be improved or are they good anyway?

If i'm keeping it , i would like to make it the best it can be without being excessive with the cash. Titanium bolts and the like aren't for me.

Are more modern bikes much lighter as my mate suggests

sorry if some of the questions seem a little dumb :unsure:

Edited by Drake

I went on a school day not too long ago,and one of he instructors who used to be airly competitive in Ireland was on a 03 sherco, He reckoned it was more than enough to compete with the newer ones.

Newer might be a bit lighter but look at what the lads 20 years ago coud do with those bikes!!!and im sure they were a lot heavier and rougher than anything from 00 up

Id say stick with it and work on skill level.

I bought an 04 sherco at xmas and id say I will have it for a long time, fecking love it!

I would say don't mod the bike just for the sake of it, whats the point of new bars if the current ones are fine.

Keep the bike properly maintained, but don't buy bling parts just because they are available, save the money for essential maintenance and tyres, then get a newer bike after a year or two.