Tip - Registering A Used Trials Bike

martinh

If you want to get a trials bike registered, DO NOT go anywhere near the Wimbledon DVLA office, as they are the most awkward bunch of people you could meet, when it comes to registering a used trials bike. The reason I wanted to get it insured was to keep my no claims going, and because I didn't want to use protect-a-bike insurance from TMX, as you then have to buy all sorts of approved locks, anchors etc. Plus I was up against time, as Carole Nash (along with all the other insurance companies I tried, will only insure on a chasis number for 30 days.

I went to Wimbledon DVLA twice, armed with all the documentation under the sun, including a Certificate of Newness from Malcolm Rathmell Sport, and a supporting letter from them, plus my bill of sale, insurance etc. They kept on insisting on me producing a dating letter from Sherco themselves stating when the bike was manufactured (even though MRS had stated all of this in their supporting letter). MRS have never been asked to produce such a letter from Sherco, and doubted Sherco even had such a procedure.

Anyway, the upshot of it was, that I took all the info that I had to the Chelmsford DVLA office, and they registered it straightaway, and said that the documentation that I had was absolutely fine.

If you are going to register a used trials bike, make sure you have a Certificate of Newness from the importer, a Dating letter from the importer (or if you can get one, directly from the manufacturer) and your insurance. Also get the importer to write a supporting letter, stating when the bike was manufactured, imported, chasis number etc. Stuff like the bill of sale always helps, as it proves that you have paid VAT. And finally.....don't take it to the Wimbledon office!

Edited by martinh

WImbledon AND Chelmsford are a long way from Malvern arent they??

Or are there 2 Malverns in UK???

If you're near Malvern (Malvern hills) I would love to know a bit about the trials scene there, ie which club you ride for etc....is there anywhere to practise etc...since my parents live in Hereford, and I will probably be settling near there in the near future.

Cheers :wacko: and thanks for the advice on registering a bike :stoned:

Yeah, Chelmsford and Wimbledon are a long way from Malvern, but for my sins, I work in London, so my week days are spent up here!

Malvern does have its own trials club, though it only has a couple of events a year, and they aren't really geared to anything more than beginners. However, there are loads of Gloucestershire based clubs like the Cheltenham Home Guard club, the West Glos and Dean Forest, Stroud Valley club. Best if you live in Hereford would be the Wye Valley AC. All of these clubs have fantastic ground, and all the trials cater for all standards, and the scene is very active. No where close to practice around Malvern. The Hills would be a great place, but the Conservators would never allow it! Closest place I know is Kilkenny Quarry @ Andoversford.