Twinshock and Pre65 team trial

woody

Does anyone know anything about this event? They used to be two seperate events but looks like they've been combined.

It's on the ACU fixture list for 10/7 to be organised by East Midlands centre??

I've heard nothing about it, just wondered if anyone else has.

Deffinately 10th July and to be run by Mansfield Maun, their web site www.mansfieldmauntrials.co.uk states "Venue TBC start time will be 11am MUST ENTER BEFORE THE DAY CLOSING DATE IS 28TH JUNE 2011"

• 2 months later...

The primary reason was lack of entries, only 5 teams entered.

Maybe there are too many events these days, this date clashed with a PJ1 British bike round, so that accounts for a lot of Pre65 riders. I'd guess many who may have ridden the team trial are following the PJ1 championship.

I'm also a bit confused with this year's 'classic' team trial dates as the Lakes MTA cancelled a similar event a couple of weeks ago, although twinshock only, no Pre65. I first saw the Lakes event on the ACU calender at the start of the year but didn't realise it was still going ahead and assumed it had been replaced by the Mansfield Maun event. So not sure why they were both on the calender still with a couple of weeks between them.

Historically the Pre65 and Twinshock team events have been run seperately and it would be nice if they could be kept seperate, but obviously it depends upon clubs/centres willing to run them. The twinshock team trial run by the Lakes MTA a couple of years ago was a superb event, as was Congleton's Pre65 event a year or so before and South Birmingham's before that.

Reading the regs in tmx this event was a multi lap trial, was this the reason for lack of entries? Long way for center teams to travel for a multilap trial? Fuel costs etc? Previous twinshock team trials have been well supported because they have been road based, so you get to ride all day as opposed to a long drive for a couple of hours ride on a closed circuit. Woody do you think our trial would get a good entry if we applied for this event in 2012? I have a good feeling it would. Be sad to see this one dissappear from the classic calender :thumbup:

Edited by pitley

Your trial should get a good entry whatever classic label you run it under in my view. If it doesn't then I'm at a loss to understand what riders of classics and twinshocks want from a trial any more...

The entry for the Mansfield Maun event would certainly have been affected by the clash with the PJ1 round for the Pre65 class. Twinshocks, no idea really, although the venue is one of the groups in their Normandale round and I'm not sure it is everyone's favourite as the sections are more manufactured than natural.

It's also the first time that the two events would have run together and I'm not convinced it is a good idea. It meant 2 routes with the Pre65 class on the easy route and twinshocks on the hard. That to me, presents problems. Some of the Pre65 riders are very good and don't want the easy route. Some twinshock riders aren't so good and may not want the hard route. When the twinshock team trial ran in the Lakes, the sections were all natural and one route, some hard, some easy. Overall a good balance and although hard in places they weren't intimidating, so all could attempt them even if it meant a fail at times.

When the Pre65 team trial has been run, the variety of machines and rider abilities is quite big and as far as I remember, it has always had 2 routes. Teams nominate who will run on the hard and easy routes which is dependant upon the ability of the bike and the rider, but I can't remember exactly what the criteria was and how the team scoring was worked out.

Putting the two events together, I think it is hard to get the balance right due to the bigger variety of bikes and of rider ability. Besides, I'd like to ride in both (being selfish.... :) )

I think the format you had last year (and this) is the ideal for your trial to be honest, solo trial, 2 routes and riders choose themselves which route they want. However, it would still make a fabulous team trial in terms of the course, but it is just how to handle the format, if the twinshock and Pre65 events are combined. There is no reason you shouldn't get a good entry for it but I think a lot of the Pre65 boys would be disappointed if they were on the easier route.