Pinging Beta

clarkp

My bike is pinging pretty badly when it gets hot - trying to figure it out... I run 108 / 93 octane mix and 80:1 oil. Its got 145 main and 27.5 pilot jets and I'm running the jet needle one clip richer (second from the bottom).

Its got an NGK BP5ES plug in it - is this the plug most Beta owners are running?

Is there a stator plate with slotted holes on the Rev3 250 / 270 to allow small changes to timing?

Any ideas?

Clark, As I think about it, I believe Chuck had to make some changes on the ignition (Frankenstein story). You might want to double check the timing with a proper indicator. Call Commo for advice as I do not know which ignition is on your bike. I have the puller for the Ducati (old style) if you need it.

Mark

Mark - the '02 and '03 ignition modules are not interchangeable according to Commo. They have different connectors ('02 has a 5-wire rectangular plug and the '03 has a 2-wire oval connector) so my guess is that BC would have had to switch the 'brain' as well as the motor.

Clark, the problem is that he may have switched the stator plates and wireing instead, leaving the correct year model ignitions with the correct bikes and if so it may not be set properly. I think I would verify which one is on it and then ck the setting!

Mark

Cheers ClarkP, might I suggest that you double check your plug, most Beta's use a Champion N7YCC or equivalent, in this case a NGK BP7ES. I believe you mentioned that your are running a BP5ES which is a much hotter plug than the BP7ES (lower the number the hotter the plug), this might be part of your problem. Lets us know how you make out.

Suggest you check out the following link on cross reference N7YCC Champion to NGK, of course you could just take someones word for it and assume it to be correct... :ph34r:

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/database/altresults.asp

Keep in mind this fact, the lower the number the hotter the plug, if the bike is pinging or having a mis-fire issue, logic suggest that you ensure the correct plug (per the manufacture) in being used and start from there. If in doubt about what NGK is correct, replce it with a Champion, my Beta owners manual specifies the N7YCC Champion.

Good Luck :blink:

So far, I've changed straight from a 27.5 pilot to the 37.5 (Traynor's suggestion) and things seem a little better - I won't know for sure until this weekend's competition and the machine gets run for a while (hot, real hot...) I am also going to switch from the BP5ES to either a BP7ES or the Champion N7YC or N7YCC (both cooler) and see what effect that has.

My friend and Beta dealer here in Hong Kong, said that when she visited the Beta factory, they told her we MUST use the Champion plug. I found this strange...since I had been succesfully using the NGK equivelant.

HOWEVER...I just tried the Champion N7YCC in my Beta Rev3 250.....and it runs MUCH better.

Problem is I can't find any more Champion plugs in Hong Kong....anyone want to send me a box??

Had the same problem on my 02 rev3. The pinging were worst when i rode on the transports without load or after a hillclimb when i got off the throttle. Tried everything and the best result was with bigger pilot jet. If this will not help all the way, take the barrel off without removing the head ( to avoid changing the head gasket ) (possible if you remove the radiator etc) and check if there is carbon on the piston and in the exhaustchannel. This can be so hot it will make your engine work like a dieselengine.( it is a good idea to change the rings when you are doing this )

Good Luck !

Sorry for the bad english

I don't think I have a problem with pre-ignition or detonation on this bike. The engine is almost brand new. I started with the 27.5 pilot jet, went up to a 37.5, down to a 35, and now back up to a 40. The bike still was pinging with both the 37.5 and the 35, so I'm up to a 40 for now. I need to put some time on the engine (get it hot) running the 40 to see how it behaves - next will be to go from the 145 main jet to a 150... small steps to see how the pilot circuit and main circuit work together - see what happens.

I did get too aggressive with BillyT's float settings... I didn't have the float needle opening far enough and starved the bike for fuel when it sucked the bowl dry on a section-to-section transport... yanked it back off and bent the tabs to let the float needle drop down a little more.

The mystery is solved! I finally got a 'Grip-it' strap wrench from Klein Tools to hold the flywheel so I could get the flywheel nut off and back on to 44 ft-lbs. The stator plate was set so the timing was fairly advanced - I moved the stator plate to the middle of the slot (per importer's suggestion) and then checked the timing using the static method (letter drill through the flywheel into the timing hole in the stator plate.

So I think the combination of the 40 pilot jet and the retarded (standard) timing should keep the pinging at bay - I'll know for sure this coming weekend.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!