Kickstart hits footpeg

keychange

A while back I fitted a pair of wide foot pegs to both my bikes but on the TLR200 the kickstart hits the peg - it wasn't an issue as the peg was pretty tight and would stick in the fold back position out of the way. Downside was every time the peg hit an object it would stick and my foot would then be flailing around looking for the folded peg. So I oiled the springs and now the pegs are flicking back with alacrity - but now the bloody kickstart hits the peg. I have a 3 inch piece of number 8 fencing wire that can be hooked onto the peg to hold it but it is very clumsy and tedious as it has to be engaged by hand and that isn't always convenient.

Idea's anyone

Happened when I changed the pegs on my Scorpa 125, I put a couple of weld spots on the bottom inside face of the peg so it sits slightly angled up, works fine and you don't notice it when riding.

The same happened with my TY175 when I fitted the Sammy Miller pegs which were wider. I just took the spring out of the peg on the kickstart side and problem solved. When you start it just lean the bike slightly to keep the peg up and then when it's started, flick the peg down. Worked for me.

A while back I fitted a pair of wide foot pegs to both my bikes but on the TLR200 the kickstart hits the peg - it wasn't an issue as the peg was pretty tight and would stick in the fold back position out of the way. Downside was every time the peg hit an object it would stick and my foot would then be flailing around looking for the folded peg. So I oiled the springs and now the pegs are flicking back with alacrity - but now the bloody kickstart hits the peg. I have a 3 inch piece of number 8 fencing wire that can be hooked onto the peg to hold it but it is very clumsy and tedious as it has to be engaged by hand and that isn't always convenient.

Idea's anyone

You can purchase rearset pegs here in the U.S. that may help, if you used standard trials pattern pegs. https://secure.rypusa.com/prodpage.cfm?cat_selected=116&product_selected=142&startrow=9

Edited by motovita

I had the same issue with my TLR200 after putting on big pegs. I bent the kick lever so it goes out a little farther and clears the peg. The lever was held in a vise and heated red with a propane torch at the bend spot. I believe I used a long wrench as a lever arm. It took two ..or three bends. One was out to clear the peg. One was back up on the outside of the peg and there may have been a third to get the foot piece level. It works well.

Idea's anyone

if it just barley hits, bend the peg slightly, ong good smack with a mallet should do it

• 1 month later...

I pulled the kickstart off and heated with LPG torch - a couple of bends one and then correct the angle of the foot and bingo works well and misses the peg .... the fencing wire was real pain in the A

Cheers

Edited by keychange

• 1 month later...