sorted by now

neilnh

I am wondering if Beta are ever going to sort the stator issues or are they happy to let people keep forking out for them. I personally think i shall get rid of the beta and move on to something else but the only other bike that floats my boat is the mont 4rt and they are slightly too expensive new and hard to find a good secondhand one

Neilnh, are you saying that Evo have the same issue? I had all but decided to go for an Evo rather than a gasser to replace my Rev3; this may influence my decision.

Graham

Graham, do a search in the Beta section too see if the problem is still recurring.

It's probably like most problems with sub-contractors. Beta says there's a problem, the supplier tests and says there isn't and around and around we go. After my experience with the grounding issues on my '08 it's possible the stator issues are a combination of poor winding insulation and bad grounding practice. Either one by themselves will not cause a significant number of failures but together they are deadly. I still think Beta would be well served with a modular stator design that would let you swap out the coils. That would put this to rest once and for all but that would cost extra on an already slim margin and they probably have many hundreds of the old design sitting on shelves.

Edited by Dan Williams

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry no hall effect sensor on these ignitions. I've stripped a stator down to it's wires and it's only coils. One charging and one or two trigger plus 5 lighting.

I think the way it works for the two trigger version is one trigger coil is the actual trigger and the second provides the signal that tells the microcontroller in the CDI how much spark advance to use. My guess on the single trigger coil type is the two magnets that are on the flywheel specifically to affect the trigger coils are flipped in orientation so that there is a positive pulse from one and a negative pulse 180 degrees away (flywheel orientation) and that these are used to sense engine speed to set advance.