Beta Gearbox Oil Leak

lewisblack

I dont know if this has been covered before, apologies if it has.

Just after I started the Bemrose trial at the weekend I started losing gearbox oil somewhere from the clutch cover side of the engine. I didnt lose enough to stop me finishing the trial but it was a bit concerning from a 2005 bike.

I havent had chance to look at it yet, is there anything obvious I should know about before I strip it down.

Thanks.

Ive changed that gasket twice on my rev3

There seems to be two kinds of gaket available too.

one of them the standard flat papery kind of one..and the other a kind of rubbery one with a small ridge around it.

I found the rubbery one worked its way out alot easier....

so if you get a choice, I would go with the papery one. I now check those bolts around that cover every ride, ;cause they seem to work loose and then the gasket slips out...maybe try a bit of locktite on them too??

ALso...another one to watch out for in my opinion, is the oil sight glass can sometimes work itself loose, and then start loosing oil. I paint a little line on mine, so I can see if it has moved or not.

Maybe (with it being a new bike) some of the nuts and bolts need re-tightening?

GOod luck.. :D

Blacky, I agree with Stu on this one. I would check the bolt under the rubber pad located between the skid plate and the bottom of the engine case. It is a hidden bolt and you cannot see from the eye without removing the skid plate and rubber pad. I have seen this be the cause of the oil leak, usually works loose. Check with KDMOTO Trials in Australia, they used to have the torque specs posted. Be careful not to over tighten. Let us know what it was.

:D

I take an exacto knife and cut the skid plate rubber so the "hidden" bolt is exposed. Then you can check it whenever, without taking off the skid plate.

I did this on my '03, and found the bolt was completely backed out.

Yeah ..forgot to mention that. AFTER I had this problem I also drilled a hole in my skid plate rubber, so that I can keep an eye on that now NOT hidden bolt, and check if its coming loose.

I notice the 04 Rev I think..or maybe 05 has a slightly different skid plate rubber so that the said bolt is NOT hidden.

Good old Beta..they obviously listen to us all!! :D

All they have to do now, is countersink the rear bash plate bolts, and I'll be happy, since mine keep rounding off/coming loose on the rocks! :D

Stu

Aren't you suppose to miss the skid plate on the rocks, tire to rock....and so on. Just kidding. :D However, I have seen skid plate so whacked that once it came off there was no way to get it back on, even with the help of a hydralic jack and clamps. If only we could be as smooth as Kuroyama, tire to rock...

So how is the riding in HKG? Have not made to HKG/S. China in sometime, really miss the Bushmills and pints at Mad Dogs...

Cheers

Tony

How did you round the bask plate bolts off?? I thought that the bash plate curved up at the back, thus makin the bolts out of reach, maybe i just haven't ridden enough rocks yet.

Got round to having a look at it today. Filled it back up to correct level with oil and run the bike for a bit and the oil is not leaking from the clutch cover it is leaking from around one of the allen bolts holding the engine casing together. I have checked that all the bolts are tight but it is still leaking.

I assume I am going to have to change the engine casing gasket. Looks like a nightmare of a job. :D

Thanks for all your help

Lewis Black

(Blacky)

Blacky...I THINK thats where we'd all assumed it was leaking from anyway!!

The clutch cover..is just the round bit, which has a very large rubber o ring type gasket....in my limited experience, that one rarely leaks, and if it does its very easy to change.

The one I"VE been talking about, which I think is what you are on about now, is NOT a nightmare to replace, so DONT panic. You do of course have to take the kick start off, and on the earlier Rev 3's you have to remove or at least loosen the bash plate, so that you can remove the bash plate rubber, (allowing you to get to that bolt we all talked about,..which is normally hidden by the bash plate rubber)

I think on your model, it is not hidden.

GOOD luck.....let us know how you get on. :D:D

The new gasket you'll need is fairly cheap..I got mine from bvm-moto.co.uk

Yep, easy peasy, draining your water first might be a good idea, i am not sure how it gets between the cylinder and the pump on your bike but if you drain it then you will be able to remove the pipe and this the whole case more easily, Dont forget the gear lever and a thin washer just underneath the case which may stick to the oil seal,

Good luck!

well said bob..

forgot about the water...you MUST drain that first. Drain screw found on water pump casing. No need to remove the pipe, it will just bend to move the casing to one side for a while.

Just found a pic of when I did mine...as you can see, I had to remove the bash plate also..which is probably the hardest bit of the job.

I also used a few very small dabs of silicon to hold the gasket in place whilst putting the casing back on top of it.

after draining your coolant, you will need to replace it with 600cc's of coolant/water mix :D

post-5-1111114659.jpg