TLR200 - wider footpegs - recommmendations?

jmo

Hi everyone - having tidied up the TLR a bit (gratuitous opportunity for another photo:), I was wondering what people's opinions are on replacement footpegs?

DSCF1349.jpg

I keep seeing the alloy ones on ebay from G.R.Craft in Japan - has anyone got these and what do they think? I like the fact (they say) that they don't interfere with the kickstart lever, unlike my currently fitted Pivot Pegz which need to be folded up each time...

Any advice would be appreciated - but basically what I'm looking for is a wider alloy peg, that doesn't foul the kickstart, and it appears there is only that one option?

Jx

Edited by JMo

I welded on new brackets and fitted 315r Mont footrests but you wouldn't want to weld to your nicely painted frame. I see there are bolt on footrest that give similar benefits. However fancy ally or titanium footrests in my mind are OK when new but allow no home refurb when welding is needed to raise then back up when they wear.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a pair of steel universal trial footrests from trialsbits.co.uk and a friend helped me to saw the original footrest holders of the frame and to weld a little frame extension with the new footrests on it just 2 cm back and lower.

It should look nearly original and I think that it does. I like to ride the footrests without return springs, in any case the kick start clears the rest also in riding position.

DSCI00261600x1200.jpg

DSCI00201600x1200.jpg

TLR0011600x1200.jpg

NICE JOB ROLLOX, was just wondering if the 'power bulge' front exhaust pipe made any improvements....especialy the low speed running?

Hello bashplate,

Thanks. Please have a look to the topic "TLR 200 performance mods. What works and what is just bling?"

Rollox, those footrests are quite weak and can break. If they do you could have a nasty crash. I have broken 2 or 3 of them. They can break if you hit them on rocks or roots and one broke under my weight when I hit a rock step hard.

I still use them but I now strengthen them with weld at the points shown on the photo. At each end of the 'cross', top and underneath, vertically down the inside and finally where the footrest section attaches to the pivot as they can break off quite easily there. I can't mark that place with a circle as it is hidden from view but I have marked it with arrows. You can't put too much weld here as it will foul the bracket when the footrest pivots, stopping it from doing so.

Once welded I haven't had one break, but if you don't you may have a crash if one breaks. I was at the top of a rock step when mine broke and it was a long way down backwards with a KT250...

post-71-0-29512900-1313267996.jpg

Rollox, those footrests are quite weak and can break. If they do you could have a nasty crash. I have broken 2 or 3 of them. They can break if you hit them on rocks or roots and one broke under my weight when I hit a rock step hard.....

Hello Woody,

Many thanks for the important tip. I will ask my welder to strengthen the footrests accordingly.

We drive these footrests in several bikes and had, fortunately, up to now no problems.