Trials riding bags/camelbak

betarick

Hi whats best for long distance trials ie carrying a drink & tools for running repairs punctures etc? I have been looking at a camelbak mule are these too big to be carried round for a good few hours? Whats everyone using,what size drink bladder & whats the most practical.Need some tips & what to carry cheers for any replys.

Edited by betarick

Back in the days when we carried a reasonably comprehensive toolkit round every trial a small bumbag was sufficient, though we never carried a drink (the routes often went by a pub :D ). There seem to be larger bumbags available nowadays with a drinks bottle holder incorporated.

camelbaks are a good idea but they pull you back when your going up hills nd tend to bring the front wheel up.. cant do rocks either with one on thats a no no! good for long distance wood rides though if your out just messing about

I find the Camelback Rogue to be just the right size. It has a 70 oz capacity and can carry several hands full of stuff. The Camelback also serves as nice back/ spine protection if you happen to flip over backwards. I have done several tests of that function.

I have run a Rogue for years for standard trials. Plenty of water when it is hot(lots), tool storags is limited, but I never bother to take it off in the sections.

When packing for true LDT, I think the Mule is just marginal as well, and would possibly shed it before sections, depending.

I have a regular (no name) backpack for setting trials or loading up with junk for a big outing or minding.

I too have enjoyed the spinal protection of the waterbag and padding! :rolleyes:

I find larger packs to be more comfortable, most back country packs have straps the pull them up tight when there is not much in them, have a look at Dakine back country ski packs, they have bladders, lots of small pockets, don't flop around when you are in rough conditions and the quality is outstanding

I've got a Camelbak Mule that I bought for Mountain Biking, but plan to use on the trial bike too, in my opinion, it would be only just big enough. With a lightweight jacket, water, a spare bicycle inner tube and a couple of multi-tools in it's about enough to carry in a small(ish) bag. I find bigger packs that cover more of your back and spread the load more are more comfortable to be honest.

miley-cyrus-bike-ride-basket.jpg

I hear Toni Bou is fitting a basket for next years competition... ;)

I carry a camelback Cloud or something, it's a little largish but quite comfy. If i'm going to do a technical section i just take it off and come back and get it. If the loop is fairly close to the carpark i don't take anything with me.