eBay Norton 500 trials - scammer?

bigplonker

Just spotted a 500 Norton trials on eBay. I could be wrong (as usual!) but I seem to remember it being advertised some time ago (by a genuine owner) and then exactly the same ad running again a bit later (by a completely different seller). I therefore assumed the latter ad to be placed by a scumbag scammer and informed eBay accordingly. Now, here's the same ad running again. If anyone's tempted to bid, do please tread carefully and make sure you're entirely happy with the seller's (somewhat dubious, I reckon) authenticity. Apologies to all concerned if my suspicions are entirely unjustified.

Just spotted a 500 Norton trials on eBay. I could be wrong (as usual!) but I seem to remember it being advertised some time ago (by a genuine owner) and then exactly the same ad running again a bit later (by a completely different seller). I therefore assumed the latter ad to be placed by a scumbag scammer and informed eBay accordingly. Now, here's the same ad running again. If anyone's tempted to bid, do please tread carefully and make sure you're entirely happy with the seller's (somewhat dubious, I reckon) authenticity. Apologies to all concerned if my suspicions are entirely unjustified.

It's always a bit odd when a seller asks you to email their Yahoo account because it's quicker than their sellers account!

However, (if this is the one) then the seller has just recently changed their name. Check out the history, it might be the name you spotted previously.

NAME CHANGE INFO HERE.

It's always a bit odd when a seller asks you to email their Yahoo account because it's quicker than their sellers account!

However, (if this is the one) then the seller has just recently changed their name. Check out the history, it might be the name you spotted previously.

NAME CHANGE INFO HERE.

Yes, that's the ad. Interesting that this scammer (99% sure) has asked for prospective buyers to email direct rather than via eBay. Even more interesting is that he's asked people to do the same with another item he's selling (sorry, scamming) but with a different email address (see his 'other items for sale'). I've been looking for a 'report this seller to eBay' link but can't spot one.

Yes, that's the ad. Interesting that this scammer (99% sure) has asked for prospective buyers to email direct rather than via eBay. Even more interesting is that he's asked people to do the same with another item he's selling (sorry, scamming) but with a different email address (see his 'other items for sale'). I've been looking for a 'report this seller to eBay' link but can't spot one.

Success! Have alerted eBay to the existence of this questionable ad. How they choose to deal with it is up to them.

Listing has now been removed. This suggests it was indeed a scam. Somewhat scarily, about eight bidders had pushed the bidding to beyond four grand. That's four grand for a bike that effectively doesn't exist. And the scumbag scammer (i.e. the listed seller) had a 100% record as an eBay marketeer, probably made up with about 25 fake sales or purchases to another eBay member (another eBay scammer) with whom he was 'in cahoots'. Just goes to show how easy it is to be conned via eBay. Beware...

Listing has now been removed. This suggests it was indeed a scam. Somewhat scarily, about eight bidders had pushed the bidding to beyond four grand. That's four grand for a bike that effectively doesn't exist. And the scumbag scammer (i.e. the listed seller) had a 100% record as an eBay marketeer, probably made up with about 25 fake sales or purchases to another eBay member (another eBay scammer) with whom he was 'in cahoots'. Just goes to show how easy it is to be conned via eBay. Beware...

This smacks of a 'hijacked' sellers account. The genuine owner of the account may not have even known someone was listing under their name!

It's entirely possible that ebay may have contacted the real account holder and they has a shock.

This smacks of a 'hijacked' sellers account. The genuine owner of the account may not have even known someone was listing under their name!

It's entirely possible that ebay may have contacted the real account holder and they has a shock.

Yes, I take your point.

However, in this instance, there were a number of factors that suggested the 'seller' was a scammer:

1) The whole ad (photos and wording) was 'lifted' from (i.e. a copy of) a genuine ad that ran about two years ago - I remembered the original ad because it was for an excellent trials iron and I even went as far as contacting the owner for further info before reluctantly deciding not to bid due to an infestation of moths in wallet.

2) About a week after the bike originally sold, the same ad (same photos and wording) appeared on eBay but this time by a completely different seller. Had the ad been placed by a genuine seller, the photos and wording would surely be different. Alerted eBay to the possibility that the ad may have been placed by a scammer. Soon after, the ad was dropped and the 'seller' ceased to exist on eBay. So when the same ad appeared for a third time (last week), it was pretty obvious to me that this was a scam.

3) Item description stated the bike and owner were in Hampshire yet the 'seller' was listed as being in London.

4) 'Seller' apparently had a 100% record of about 25 transactions, thereby appearing 'genuine'. However, on checking these transactions, they were all for useless items (such as shirt buttons) sold to or purchased from one or two other eBay members - a classic case of scammers working together in order to build their 100% records, thereby gaining a false impression of authenticity.

5) As mentioned before, the 'seller' requested prospective bidders to contact direct by email rather than via the eBay system - this is a favourite ploy of scammers.

6) The 'seller' was listed as having one other item for sale on eBay. This turned out to be an impressive camper van. However, the look and wording of the ad was noticeably different to that of the Norton. Obviously two ads by two different people. In all probability, the camper ad was also a scam.

7) As I said, after alerting eBay to the possibility that the 'seller' was a scammer, both ads disappeared and the 'seller' was listed as 'no longer an eBay member'. I presume he, or they, are now busily rebuilding another false eBay profile so they can continue their wretched trail of deception.

Now..., I fully realise that I'm coming across as an interfering busybody saddo with nothing better to do all day but snoop around on eBay searching for fraudsters - but this is not the case. However, having been stung by a scammer once (a grand for a non existent computer) I'm keen to show people how easy it is to get mugged on eBay. With the prices of classic motorcycles continuing to rise, it's no surprise that scammers have begun stepping into this lucrative market - a market that's lagely populated by old gits such as myself who may be new to the internet and unwary of the dangers that lurk within.

Apologies for the ridiculously long length of time I've been waffling on and on about this Norton scam but if it saves just one person from being conned by a scammer it'll all have been worthwhile.

Yes, I take your point.

However, in this instance, there were a number of factors that suggested the 'seller' was a scammer:

1) The whole ad (photos and wording) was 'lifted' from (i.e. a copy of) a genuine ad that ran about two years ago - I remembered the original ad because it was for an excellent trials iron and I even went as far as contacting the owner for further info before reluctantly deciding not to bid due to an infestation of moths in wallet.

2) About a week after the bike originally sold, the same ad (same photos and wording) appeared on eBay but this time by a completely different seller. Had the ad been placed by a genuine seller, the photos and wording would surely be different. Alerted eBay to the possibility that the ad may have been placed by a scammer. Soon after, the ad was dropped and the 'seller' ceased to exist on eBay. So when the same ad appeared for a third time (last week), it was pretty obvious to me that this was a scam.

3) Item description stated the bike and owner were in Hampshire yet the 'seller' was listed as being in London.

4) 'Seller' apparently had a 100% record of about 25 transactions, thereby appearing 'genuine'. However, on checking these transactions, they were all for useless items (such as shirt buttons) sold to or purchased from one or two other eBay members - a classic case of scammers working together in order to build their 100% records, thereby gaining a false impression of authenticity.

5) As mentioned before, the 'seller' requested prospective bidders to contact direct by email rather than via the eBay system - this is a favourite ploy of scammers.

6) The 'seller' was listed as having one other item for sale on eBay. This turned out to be an impressive camper van. However, the look and wording of the ad was noticeably different to that of the Norton. Obviously two ads by two different people. In all probability, the camper ad was also a scam.

7) As I said, after alerting eBay to the possibility that the 'seller' was a scammer, both ads disappeared and the 'seller' was listed as 'no longer an eBay member'. I presume he, or they, are now busily rebuilding another false eBay profile so they can continue their wretched trail of deception.

Now..., I fully realise that I'm coming across as an interfering busybody saddo with nothing better to do all day but snoop around on eBay searching for fraudsters - but this is not the case. However, having been stung by a scammer once (a grand for a non existent computer) I'm keen to show people how easy it is to get mugged on eBay. With the prices of classic motorcycles continuing to rise, it's no surprise that scammers have begun stepping into this lucrative market - a market that's lagely populated by old gits such as myself who may be new to the internet and unwary of the dangers that lurk within.

Apologies for the ridiculously long length of time I've been waffling on and on about this Norton scam but if it saves just one person from being conned by a scammer it'll all have been worthwhile.

Excellent info, thanks. :thumbup:

The Norton's back on eBay again. This time advertised by a 'seller' up in Scotland(?). Interesting that the description states the bike's in Hampshire. Also, again, the 'seller' has asked for contact to be made directly by yahoo email rather than via eBay. I've alerted eBay to the possibility this may be a scammer (again). Hopefully genuine bidders will think twice before bidding - the bidding so far, I suspect, has been pushed up by the scammer's crooked associate(s). Hope I'm wrong about all this...

Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude, but it does help other buyers and sellers to realize there are people just out for there cash!

A good way round living to far away is with the aid of a forum like this, ask someone local (& neutral) if they would be willing to have a look? (May cost you a few quid for there time but worth it in the long run)?

Part of my job is selling expensive items on ebay, and there are a lot of scammers out there, ebay does little to help when the st*t hits the fan!

Edited by Monty_Jon

Is it this one? Norton 500

The in-laws are just down the road from Kelty and there are a load of riders from the local club in that neighbourhood. Perhaps someone can go and 'see' it?

Yes, that's the one. Would be interesting if a local person made contact and asked to view the bike...!