Montesa 348 Frame

jojotut

Hi are there differences in 348 frames! I have just purchased 2 (one in bits) the frame around the engine is different on both, one has a projected tube around the frame to protect the engine but the frame starting with 51m160** does not, was this just a model change?

Yes those extra frame loops were a change made part way through the three years of Cota 348 production. Other changes made through the production were fork springs, fork caps, and to the frame gusseting at the steering head. The brake and gear change pedals also changed through that period. I suspect that the 27mm Mk 2 AMAL carby underwent development in those years too but am not sure of the details of that.

Thanks for that is there a site I can check the spcification on the bike over its manufacture period? I have tried to date the 2 bikes but I think I have to pay does anyone have rough dates for manufacture, thought the 348 only went upto 1980 but the younger bike is 51m1606*

They made about 5000 per year from 1976 to 1978.

The one with serial 16-- is a '76 and the one with frame mods is a '78.

the page that's linked is lifted from 'Montesaweb' but I believe the photos at the top, depicting a '77 Malcolm Rathmell edition are wrong. The MR 348 was in '76 only.

• 1 month later...

the page that's linked is lifted from 'Montesaweb' but I believe the photos at the top, depicting a '77 Malcolm Rathmell edition are wrong. The MR 348 was in '76 only.

hi, is there info of the number of MRR were brought out, iv just got a 348 the frame and engine numbers match 51m16.. the rear sprocket has the M logo and special 33 stampped on it, the engine stay is a gold colour would the sprocket have been the same the front has 9 teeth, the number 1s are upside down too.

Just questioning the statement that the MR 348's were '76' production only. I've have a '77' MR 348, SN 5457. Purchased it new in 77. It was my understanding that the MR editions were dropped sometime in mid 77.