Pre Units, the end of an era?

wallo

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing the beginning of the end for the larger pre units?

Most the 'classic' trials these days are all geared towards the twin shocks, Bantams, and C15's. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against the bikes or the riders, but will the heavier weight machines (and rider for that matter) have a place in classic trials in say 4/5 years time?

I did a trial today (... up front I'm not the best rider in the world, far from it) and in my class there were about 4 entries (easy route, pre unit) out of a field of around 70.

So, did I enter the wrong trial or do I need to change my machine?

I think it's sad that there are only a few trials left where you can actually ride the bigger bikes and enjoy it.

Maybe I'm just a sad old'ish fart but is it time to mouthball the heavyweight and buy a Bantam?

Would be interested in hearing what others think.

Wallo

Sadly it seems the case, the truth is history is repeating itself,

I never thought I would see the day when riders like

Mick Ash ,George Greenland, Julian Wigg would not be on big four strokes.

but we are all getting older,so a lighter bike seems the way to go

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing the beginning of the end for the larger pre units?

Most the 'classic' trials these days are all geared towards the twin shocks, Bantams, and C15's. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against the bikes or the riders, but will the heavier weight machines (and rider for that matter) have a place in classic trials in say 4/5 years time?

I did a trial today (... up front I'm not the best rider in the world, far from it) and in my class there were about 4 entries (easy route, pre unit) out of a field of around 70.

So, did I enter the wrong trial or do I need to change my machine?

I think it's sad that there are only a few trials left where you can actually ride the bigger bikes and enjoy it.

Maybe I'm just a sad old'ish fart but is it time to mouthball the heavyweight and buy a Bantam?

Would be interested in hearing what others think.

I dont know where you rode today,but I'm doing my best to make Pre unit bikes welcome at Bath trials,I didnt actually compete on my HT5 today because my knee is a bit of a mess at the moment - but I did use it to get around the venue.George Greenland was riding his Dot - he is welcome to ride anything he likes at our trials along with other senior riders such as Wilf Couldwell etc,its just good to see them out on their bikes.

We mark out the sections with bigger/older bikes in mind - but we cannot force people to ride them.

It cant be too bad though with 91 riders taking part.

theres still quite a few riders who attend the yorkshire classic events. be it pre-unit or championship events. approx 32ish over the year have entered at some point.

my own matchless has been sidelined with the dreaded ethanol damage :( . when i can afford to repair it i will do.

remember theres a petition on this subject at the moment!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15535

please can you all sign it when you have a moment. :thumbup:

I dont know where you rode today,but I'm doing my best to make Pre unit bikes welcome at Bath trials,I didnt actually compete on my HT5 today because my knee is a bit of a mess at the moment - but I did use it to get around the venue.George Greenland was riding his Dot - he is welcome to ride anything he likes at our trials along with other senior riders such as Wilf Couldwell etc,its just good to see them out on their bikes.

We mark out the sections with bigger/older bikes in mind - but we cannot force people to ride them.

It cant be too bad though with 91 riders taking part.

Hi John great entry i'm sooooo envious. We do see the odd pre unit at local trials, yesterday i rode very badly at Dales Classic Smerril Grange Farm trial and there were i would guess 4 or 5, but sadly apart from some road trials in our area the level of riders expertise makes it very difficult to set out to accomodate the older big bikes without making it a walk in the park for the guys on unit construction bikes and twinshocks. I am sure there is still the interest and the bikes out there but i feel the future for them is perhaps in events and with clubs organised around old British Bikes to the exclusion of Twinshocks. Our club couldnt afford to do it as we are struggling as it is allowing almost any bike to compete but Midland Classic club locally along with Dales Classic do have a more big bike friendly policy and do have the access to land, which we dont, that allows them to do that. Good luck to them :thumbup: it's great to see the big older bikes get an airing.

Hi John great entry i'm sooooo envious. We do see the odd pre unit at local trials, yesterday i rode very badly at Dales Classic Smerril Grange Farm trial and there were i would guess 4 or 5, but sadly apart from some road trials in our area the level of riders expertise makes it very difficult to set out to accomodate the older big bikes without making it a walk in the park for the guys on unit construction bikes and twinshocks. I am sure there is still the interest and the bikes out there but i feel the future for them is perhaps in events and with clubs organised around old British Bikes to the exclusion of Twinshocks. Our club couldnt afford to do it as we are struggling as it is allowing almost any bike to compete but Midland Classic club locally along with Dales Classic do have a more big bike friendly policy and do have the access to land, which we dont, that allows them to do that. Good luck to them :thumbup: it's great to see the big older bikes get an airing.

So in other words, it is the end of an era :-(

Hi Guy's.

BIG BIKES END OF AN ERA???????

Not if I can Help it.

I will do my damdest to try and Run the Classic Trials Show, next year again. But it has got to financialy pay for its self next time.

So all I need is Full entries of BIG Bikes, and away we go.

A show like this is one way that we can get a NEW younger generation intrested in what there Dads Or GrandDads have lurking in the backs of there sheds collecting dust.

Just look at the entry for the Talmag every year,(And this is when the weather is cold) So why arnt these bikes out again for the rest of the year????

Has, has been said riders are getting older!!! so if you can not ride your bike through injury or age restraints get a younger lad on your bike for a ride. We know they would realy enjoy it.

I will thank Mick Ash again for the use of his Ariel at the Classic Trials Show, and every talented rider that sat on that bike or one of ours came back with a grin on there faces that was a pleasure to behold.

So If you think I should run this show again! I need to know "NOW" so that I can try and get the ball rolling. So please do let me know what you think wont you. I need comitment of entries NOW. :thumbup::icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

So in other words, it is the end of an era :-(

LOL only if you let it. End of an era ? if you mean will we keep seeing the pre units riding in pre65 and twinshock events? probably less and less. Will we see them riding in events that cater for them i.e. Charlies then their future is assured.

As for getting younger riders on them well i dont know their names but i have seen a couple of young guys on Matchless etc hopping and flick turning them as if they were a twinshock at local events. God knows how they do it but it may not be "period" but it shows what can be done on one if you know how :chairfall:

Same here,as long as I'm running the trials for Bath Classic they will be marked out to cater for Pre unit and Rigid bikes.We run two routes,and yesterday Barry Barthorpe finished on 2 with his 350 Ariel on the A route.He is a VERY good rider,but he is still on a big bike and only 2 riders had a clean sheet on the a route - so it shows what can be done.The B route is deliberately made to be friendly to bigger bikes,I didnt actually compete in the trial,but I rode my HT5 around and cleaned all the B route before the start early on.

My only hope is that people will catch on to the idea that we are still catering for them.

We ran a trials demo at a steam rally back in the summer,I took my TY250 and the HT. I'm not really fit enough to ride the HT for two solid days... But When I fired up the HT and poked it around the course there was an instant increase in interest,loads more people watching and asking questions etc.They really do catch peoples attention,the size and sound of them really draw the crowds.

So if people still want them,make the sections suitable for them and encourage riders to bring em out.

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF.

You dont need a Bantam just yet . you have a bike to ride at my show, you know her name, But if you were realy crocked I have a BANTAM you could ride OK.

Guy's, I will work on a form for intrested parties to fill in, and put it onto the Classic Trials Show web site. You can always mail me at char7748@tiscali.co.uk any time. Just give me the incentive and we will go for it. OK. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.