Front Tyres for TLR non competition

keychange

Tyre discussions appear never ending but that is probably due to the continued variation in costs. My TLR 200 has I think the original dual purpose block pattern (can't remember that make and it's raining too heavy to check) The old tyre is hard and cracked so I guess it's time to replace it.

I have Michelins on my Cota 247 and it does ride nicely but when I inherited the TLR I never envisaged it would be as competent as it is and so I went for a VeeRubber tubeless on the rear - what a bugger to fit that was - but it has given me no problems and good wear running around 7 psi.

I am not a competition rider - comps are all held too far away for me to be bothered ( the nearest I am aware of is 4 hours drive each way most much further) so I simply enjoy riding around where I live - mostly steep slippery trails with short periods of more testing rocks etc.

The Michelins are bloody expensive and considering the strength of the dollar are no cheaper now than when the AUD was 60 cent US. I found a Dunlop D803 listed for $58 by a crowd pretending to be Australian morepowerracing.com.au but turns out to be US and they want $180 postage!!! Real Aussie sites are charging $100+ plus postage for the D803- where as I can buy Pirelli MT43 for under $80 which is the same price as a VeeRubber. The point is surely any one of these tyres will be a big improvement of the tired old antique currently fitted.

Will I regret not spending near twice the price to have a Michelin front while still running the VeeRubber rear?

Edited by keychange

g,day go for the pirelli mt43 they were all the fashion 20 odd years ago When your bike was new. I suppose its just coming into summer over there . From memory IRC are made in Japan they are thin carcass really flexible and may be competitive price wise over there.

IRC fronts are good value in Australia and are much better to ride with than Pirelli fronts. I rate IRC fronts along side Dunlop fronts but not quite as good as Michelin fronts.

It's only $30 difference between IRC and Pirelli but what I read about IRC is VERY soft and I have this mixture of very soft wet ground and then very rocky then very muddy (we have 2 to 3 metres of rainfall and most of that is concentrated ex-winter) I was wondering of the IRC will handle the rocky stuff ok?

It's only $30 difference between IRC and Pirelli but what I read about IRC is VERY soft and I have this mixture of very soft wet ground and then very rocky then very muddy (we have 2 to 3 metres of rainfall and most of that is concentrated ex-winter) I was wondering of the IRC will handle the rocky stuff ok?

My IRC fronts have been very slow to wear. The rubber feels same softness as Dunlop to me when new and carcass stiffness is also very similar to Dunlop ie carcass not as flexible as Michelin given same pressure. All proper trials competition tyres have softer rubber and are more flexible than the Pirelli.

I have never been able to wear out a front trials tyre before the rubber goes hard so maybe I'm not the right person to give an opinion about which competition trials tyre is best for intensive long distance trail riding.

My IRC fronts have been very slow to wear. The rubber feels same softness as Dunlop to me when new and carcass stiffness is also very similar to Dunlop ie carcass not as flexible as Michelin given same pressure. All proper trials competition tyres have softer rubber and are more flexible than the Pirelli.

I have never been able to wear out a front trials tyre before the rubber goes hard so maybe I'm not the right person to give an opinion about which competition trials tyre is best for intensive long distance trail riding.

David

Believe it or not I make my living out of giving advice and I try to live by the adage - don't ask for advice unless you are prepared to take it. I know haven't always taken yours but I do respect it and so once again thanks and I will in this case go with the IRC ... now decide where to purchase ...

g,day go for the pirelli mt43 they were all the fashion 20 odd years ago When your bike was new. I suppose its just coming into summer over there . From memory IRC are made in Japan they are thin carcass really flexible and may be competitive price wise over there.

Cheeky blighter - I still have an MT43 on the front of my Yam,cant see anything wrong with them on the front.(I did get alot of stick from a certain member of my trials sub commitee cos I had one on the back until the Dartmoor two this year)

I'd go IRC,the grip is brilliant.

The IRC is obviously a better tyre and at only $30 difference is the better choice. It will handle all the terrain you mention no problem.

However, as you're just playing or trail riding and not riding events then an MT43 will be fine if you want the cheaper option. We used to use them in the 80s in all types of events, they weren't as good as a Michelin on rocks but they performed well enough.

You wouldn't want one for serious competition these days as things have moved on, but for what you want, no problem.

• 1 month later...

I finally got round to fitting the Dunlop (had a busy Xmas) and with the aid of two shiny new tyre levers it was the easiest tyre change I have ever done. BUT - I can't get the tyre to sit straight in the rim. Pumped it right up and let it down , bounced it, pushed it , pulled it and poured buckets of soapy water but it just won't sit straight on the rim.

I have a tubeless rear and that needed about 80psi to get the bead to pop in ..... but I wouldn't expect that on the dunlop. I did a new michelin on my Cota recently and had no problems...any tips appreciated.

I finally got round to fitting the Dunlop (had a busy Xmas) and with the aid of two shiny new tyre levers it was the easiest tyre change I have ever done. BUT - I can't get the tyre to sit straight in the rim. Pumped it right up and let it down , bounced it, pushed it , pulled it and poured buckets of soapy water but it just won't sit straight on the rim.

I have a tubeless rear and that needed about 80psi to get the bead to pop in ..... but I wouldn't expect that on the dunlop. I did a new michelin on my Cota recently and had no problems...any tips appreciated.

Andrew are you talking about a front Dunlop or a rear Dunlop that won't sit straight?

Andrew are you talking about a front Dunlop or a rear Dunlop that won't sit straight?

It's the front tyre .. I have been reading more tips etc and can't see anything I have forgotten. I think tomorrow I will deflate and pour 50/50 detergent in the rim and then inflate again. The inside rim was in good condition compared to corrosion on the rear but there are plenty of tyre iron marks from past changes and maybe these are grabbing the tyre ... I did give it a very good clean with wire brushes but maybe there is an old (or new) scuff catching...but the problem isn't in one spot - I can resit the tyre and it is then out of position eslewhere :(

Cheeky blighter - I still have an MT43 on the front of my Yam,cant see anything wrong with them on the front.(I did get alot of stick from a certain member of my trials sub commitee cos I had one on the back until the Dartmoor two this year)

I'd go IRC,the grip is brilliant.

That might explain your results :rotfl: . Only joking you kicked my a*se big time last time out :) .